Holy Grail

PhilGood

Juice box hero
Which of the following mics would you consider to be the 'Holy Grail' of mics? (Just a general question.) I'm talkin' most sought after, best sounding, you'd sell your girlfriend/boyfriend for one, hellava mic.

Neumann/Telefunken U47
Neumann U67
Telefunken Elam 250/251
AKG C12
or 'other', (please specify)

Sorry if this has been done before, but I've got 3 scotch and soda's in me, and I have noooooooooo desire to use the search function.

Uh-huh!!

I believe the Telefunken 251 is one of the most desired by engineers. I judge that mostly based on its price. I would love to have one just to say i have one even. Also to make some good music with it.

A U47 would my favorite i think. Based on what ive heard from others recordings it just seems to have that sound that i love.

but then, i dunno. All the mics listed would be incredible to have. It would be really hard to pick.

Danny

Behringer

B-1.

I just read an old post from 3, maybe 4 years ago, where I was recommending it. :D So it must be good. Right?

On a more serious note, I don't think any respectable engineer would kick any of those mics listed out of their mic cabinet anytime soon. They're all likely to be pretty safe bets.

There's too many great new mics on the market for me to be worried about paying inflated prices for "vintage" mics. And I've heard George Massenburg say the same thing.

I used to have a tube U67 when I worked in studios when they still had tech departments. It was a great mic, but I couldn't be bothered with routine maintentance anymore.

I'd opt for something like a Sony C800G. A modern classic.

Oh, I happen to have a C800G sitting right here. Lucky me.

Last edited:
Dot said:
There's too many great new mics on the market for me to be worried about paying inflated prices for "vintage" mics. And I've heard George Massenburg say the same thing.

I used to have a tube U67 when I worked in studio when they still had tech departments. It was a great mic, but I couldn't be bothered with routine maintentance anymore.

I'd opt for something like a Sony C800G. A modern classic.

Oh, I happen to have a C800G sitting right here. Lucky me.

Dan, I've heard the C800G is a very neutral sounding mic, is that correct? Or does it have the warmth and fullness of a U47, U67, etc?

I think the original AKG C12 and the Telefunken ELAM 251 are practically the same mic. Maybe not even practically. I know its the same capsule and the circuitry is very close too.

The only problem on any of them are maintenence. I think overall i though if i was going for that kind of sound i would go with a reissue like the Soundelux E47 or something similiar. Or even the 251 version.

BTW got my Soundelux U195 in yesterday. Very excited about that. Has some great sounds with the few tests ive done. Plus with the nice big shockmount it just looks cool. That is also one of the heaviest mics i have picked up. Seriously for its size it surprise anyone.

And speaking of other high quality mics i may be getting a Blue Bottle (with all the cool capsules) within a few months. Although it wont be a studio owned mic. Although i would like to try and buy it if possible.

It will have the C12 capsule and the U47 capsule with it. I think theres another one but im not quite sure what it is.

Danny

Back