Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Holiday Mic sales

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I liked 25sec , it got a bit more clarity. So I guess D?

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    I was listening to a song I did for a friend (her birthday a few years back) and at the end of the guitar, you could hear an airplane's props as it flew by in the distance. I didn't hear it when I did the recording. That was done with the B3s. That's plenty low enough of a noise floor for me!
    lol..good story.
    Add some compression and it will make the noise louder and the prop plane sound like a 747...

Thanks
    Just in case someone else wants to chime in, I'll wait until Thursday to post which mic are which in the above example.

Thanks
    OK,
    FWIW

In the above Mic A was the SM57. Mic B was the Lauten LA120, Mic C was the AKG P170, Mic D was the Rode M5, and Mic E was the Rode NT1.

To me, judging from both headphones (AKG 240s and Sony 7506s, and on my JBL 308s), the NT1 sounded most like the actual guitar. The SM57 sounded open, but has a bit of a honky midrange, I though the P170 was dark, and the M5 was a bit light. The Lauten was second place for me. The differences were more apparent on headphones than on speakers.

If nothing else, it was a good exercise for me to characterize the new mics that I've picked up in the last 6 months. Its always good to have a reference point for when you're choosing mics.

Thanks
    I liked E the least, the NT1, it had a lot of low end which would be cut out at mix. In a solo track it might sound fuller, but in a mix all that 800hz and low boom would blurr the rest, imo.

D had the shimmer and the low end already removed. The high freqs are there, but not too much. Its sounded more like a SDC which it is. Interesting a lot of the SDC sound so similar.

A,B.C, probably would all be eq'd too. They seemed to have more of a unprocessed sound but similar. I was kind of hoping the SM57 would be my fav'. Some make them work but the "crisp highs" of the SDC and LDC are never there. Don't know the Lauten or P170...but the P series get a lot of compliments.

This was the second listen with DT880(250ohm) headphones, the other listen was Takstar671 headphones...I don't even have monitors hooked up anymore, in this closet room they don't tell me much, earbuds would be better.

Several articles on acoustic micing might use the Shure SM81 as a the "center point standard" or the Neumann KM84 even more so, if you can afford it.
    Then everything else is based like Lighter or Darker or whatever it seems....as you mention a lot of times you cant hear much difference on the speakers. lol
    Last edited by CoolCat; 12-14-2019 at 08:31.

Thanks
    I would love to have thrown in a nice KM84, except there's not one in my mic closet.

Since the original thread that LBS posted was about $100 mics, I thought I would throw those up. 4 of the mics were right at $100, the NT1 being the exception. On sale the Lauten was $125, and I grabbed it because it has both the cardioid and omni capsules. A pair was $250 +tax. The only other SD omni that I have is a VERY old AKG D160e. I bought a pair of those back in the late 70s. One died, but the other still works. I need to pull it out and see where it stands.

As for EQing to sit into the "mix", certainly the low end of the NT1 could be dropped, especially since I was recording a dreadnought. However, it sits pretty nice if you just have a singer/guitar, as it gives a bit of bottom.

In any case, its nice to have lots of different screwdrivers in the tool chest, right?

Thanks
    I totally missed the $100 first line...youre right.

$100.

even the KM84 probably gets eq, so thats not anything bad. I doubt I could tell much in a blindfold test most the time too, move the mic an inch and its different, for example.

whats the goal though? to get a track without eq , without hassle, that doesnt pickup the bad part of the room, that doesnt pick up too many airplanes flying by...

Thanks
    Not a problem. Yeah, the KM184 should be a $trong performer and the Shure SM81 would round out the SDC's comparison.

What LDC's have you got? By any chance have you collected the AT2020(no longer at $79 for the holidays boooo) or perhaps the 2035 is the better one, or an AKG P220? A few in a test like above would be cool. I was looking at the 2035 with lower self noise(12db) but settled on the P420.

A Senn MD421 needs to be in there somewhere too. They sound great.

The P420 by AKG is a nice representation of the multi pattern LDC. To get a multi pattern dual capsule LDC from brands like, AT or Shure or AKG or Rode or Blue get expensive fast. Not even MXL had something multi pat at the $100 price point. The AKG P420 sounds great at $108.84 in omni, cardio , or 8.

The $39 P170's I ordered , an order confirmation and tracking number were sent. They are coming but they must have shipped them the long way around the world. Mid Jan-early Feb according to the tracking info. I am hoping they sound great like the P170's you did.
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 4 Weeks Ago at 16:20.

Thread Information