hmmmm????

daveblue222

at uni the other day we had to record a short version of "all blues" by miles davis. instead of setting the studio up we used some kind of hand held recorder similar to those that journalists use, except it had two little microphone heads on it. once i listened back to the 1 track or it may of been a stereo recording i was amazed at how cool it sounded, in fact im sure it also would of sounded better than if we did it in the studio, this may be because we hardly ever get are tracks mixed properly, but it still sounded great.

I know that there are still many artists out there that still prefer to just chuck a single mic in the centre of the room and record and this has inspired me to maybe do some of my stuff in a similar way.

what mics are recommended for this type of recording? i dont have a big budget, about £60-100. ive read that the red5 studio condenser mics are quite good. also is it condenser mics that are the crap ones or dynamic? by this i mean which one records the sound as it actually sounds to our ears

any opnions on this subject would be great to

-dave

daveblue222 said:
at uni the other day we had to record a short version of "all blues" by miles davis. instead of setting the studio up we used some kind of hand held recorder similar to those that journalists use, except it had two little microphone heads on it. once i listened back to the 1 track or it may of been a stereo recording i was amazed at how cool it sounded, in fact im sure it also would of sounded better than if we did it in the studio, this may be because we hardly ever get are tracks mixed properly, but it still sounded great.

I know that there are still many artists out there that still prefer to just chuck a single mic in the centre of the room and record and this has inspired me to maybe do some of my stuff in a similar way.

what mics are recommended for this type of recording? i dont have a big budget, about £60-100. ive read that the red5 studio condenser mics are quite good. also is it condenser mics that are the crap ones or dynamic? by this i mean which one records the sound as it actually sounds to our ears

any opnions on this subject would be great to

-dave

That handheld recorder may have been an Edirol R09. I bought one last week and it's great for recording rehearsals. It sounds surprisingly good and provides instant gratification when you need quick reference.

omnis

Hi,

My current preference for this type of recording are my Realistic 1070b mics. The 1070c and 1070d are very similar. I do not recommend the 1070a. (Made in Taiwan. Mine has reverse polarity)

The 1070b mics can be had for $30/pair on ebay or thereabouts.

They are EV RE50 clones made by Shure in Mexico for Radio Shack. They have an extended frequency response compared to the EVs which makes them better for recording and maybe not quite as good for ENG work like video interviews.

The RE50 is an EV 635a in a larger case with more shock mount. I don't have an RE50 but the EV 635a has been my standard do everything omni since I bought one in the early 70s.

I also have a pair of Shure SM61 omnis that I like very much and I highly recommend the MSH omnis. I use my MSH1a mics on a Jecklin Disc for recording a room in stereo.

On my wish list is a higher end pair of dynamic omnis like EV RE55, EV PL9, or Beyer M101. Since I don't have these mics I can't comment personally but they have been highly recommended.

I also recommend an M-Audio dmp3 or dmp2 preamp. A preamp like this makes these mics sound even better.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back