High pressure microphone for INSIDE the mouth...

micmadness

Hey guys,

I have what some might call 'strange' requirements in a microphone. To be honest I'm not sure if what I think I need is even made by any microphone company. I am hoping that some experts will be able to at least guide me in the right direction as I am a novice in this field.

Basically I would like a small microphone, (the smaller the better) as this will be placed inside the mouth cavity at times. It would need to withstand quite high pressure and high moisture. I would need the mic to be able to record anything from high frequency, quieter low pressure sounds (think quiet whisper or subtle tounge click/snap sounds) right up to lower frequency high pressure sounds (think beatboxing style bass wobble sounds made inside the mouth - while closed) without clipping.

I have had surprising results with a bog standard apple iphone in-line ear-bud mic, however as you can imagine it clips out fairly easily with those high pressure big bassy mouth sounds. I have also tried a couple of cheap lavalier mics but both of those fair no better than the apple mic.

I am happy to spend a bit of money to get what I need but I would have to know the mic I purchase would be up to the task. To be honest I'm not sure even what type of mic (dynamic, condenser, supercardioid etc) would be the best option.
I was looking at the shure beta 54 mic (sadly discontinued) but I'm not sure if that will do what I ask of it anyway.

Any feedback gratefully received.

I have to come back sometime just to see what the answer to this one is.

Now I know how my medical team feels when I ask some of my bizarre questions.

And now we wait...

Good luck!

Hi Mic. I doubt any form of capacitor microphone will work in this situation. Firstly because it will be almost impossible to keep the innards bone dry, which they must be, and secondly because cap' mics have onboard electronics which has limited dynamic range. Very wide in the best designs but ultimately limited.

So, a dynamic it must be but being so wee it is going to have low sensitivity and thus you needs some pretty tasty preamps. The pre amps in Sound Devices recorders are known to be very low noise and the latest generation have very high overload capacities.

Dave.

My first (and cheap) impulse would be to stick a piezo pickup in there and see what happens. Maybe see if you can tape it flat to the top of your mouth?

My first (and cheap) impulse would be to stick a piezo pickup in there and see what happens. Maybe see if you can tape it flat to the top of your mouth?

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that one of the first things I tried was a piezo mic (I just used one of the really cheap ones from china - bought for less than $2 per pickup in a batch of 5) I got very little visual response with it hooked up to an oscilloscope when I placed it in my mouth (getting good peaks when placed on a flat surface and tapping said surface, so it was functional). I know these mics really need to contact a surface to really pick up the vibes travelling through that medium, but sticking one to the roof of my mouth isn't comfortable or practical really!

I'm not being funny here, but try a slightly loose fitting condom on an SM57. That would address the moisture problem. I have never done this but I would certainly try it if a singer told me they needed a mic in the mouth. I don't know if certain frequencies wouldn't pass through, you'd have to experiment.

"Basically I would like a small microphone, (the smaller the better) as this will be placed inside the mouth cavity at times. It would need to withstand quite high pressure and high moisture. "

Is this something that is going to need good diction, so while the mic is in the mouth, it can't hinder talking or vocals? If so, it seems that would really limit what microphone could be used. The condom idea might still work, but the sm57 might be a bit too large to fit inside someone's mouth. Someone mentioned a hydrophone, microphones that are used under water. But, again, most of them are too large to fit inside someone's mouth. I'm assuming it must fit totally inside the mouth?

You guys are hilarious! :) LOL an SM57 with a condom on it ain't quite gonna work for me. Far too large for one and for two why not just use a zip-lok bag or something Hahaha. Still on the lookout though. Hydrophone is a good idea. I'd like to try one or at least speak to someone who has used one before laying down the cash for one! The mic really needs to fit all the way inside the mouth and proper diction isn't necessary in my case. Just needs to capture the totality of the sounds waves generated in the mouth cavity without distortion on either the high end or the low end! Thanks again for all your responses! I've had a lot of fun reading them!

Just get a little lavelier mic or something, stick it in something like a condom, balloon, plastic bag, finger off a rubber glove, whatever. Maybe a rubber band or something to seal it up as well as you can. I once got to witness somebody jam a microphone up their ass. It was a harsh noise set, so wasn't really supposed to sound good, but I was fascinated by the way it would get different frequencies of feedback based on position and posture.

balloon, plastic bag, finger off a rubber glove, whatever.
None of those come in exciting fun flavors tho.

I once got to witness somebody jam a microphone up their ass. It was a harsh noise set, so wasn't really supposed to sound good, but I was fascinated by the way it would get different frequencies of feedback based on position and posture.

I'd watch that set.

What your looking for is called face bass developed by Charlie McMahon in Australia around 2002. I heard there about $600. Not sure if he only makes them as ordered. I can’t find them anywhere but I know someone who has one. I also just emailed Charlie this morning ??. He developed it to fit inside the mouth and he uses it for didgeridoo. I play didjeridoo and want one for live playing with a full band. I think this would be perfect for beatboxing too. You can search face bass Charlie McMahon on YouTube and see for yourself. If you track down a source please let me know.

Back