Help please! My SP B1 mic has suddenly stopped working.

Guitar Jim

I've had 2 Studio Projects B1 microphones for about a year. They have both been treated very carefully and have had little use. They've never been dropped. I've stored them both in their plastic pouches they came with (I've kept the silica patches in the pouches as well; not sure if I'm supposed to do that). The pouch then goes into the vinyl black pouch, then that's stored in the mic. box that the mic comes with. So when not in use they've been well protected.
When recording today only one of the mics would work. There's nothing wrong with the recorder and the leads are working perfectly. The problem is definitely with the mic itself.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope there may be a quick and easy solution......... any suggestions?
Thanks.

so you switched the mics while leaving the cables plugged in at the pre (turning the phantom off first) and the lack of sound moved to the channel with the bad mic, right? Just checking.

Contact PMI (Studio Projects). Excellent service.

Cardioidpotent said:
so you switched the mics while leaving the cables plugged in at the pre (turning the phantom off first) and the lack of sound moved to the channel with the bad mic, right? Just checking.

Contact PMI (Studio Projects). Excellent service.

You beat me to it. If the problem follows the mic when swapping, it's a problem with the mic; if the problem stays with the same channel, it's probably the cable, or you've lost/turned off the phantom power to that channel.

I was just setting up a practice recording using one mic. The mic would't work....... I just got zero sound. I changed cables, then changed the input channel, then changed the track I was recording onto my recorder..... still no sound. I then tried my other mic, and it worked perfectly.
I have recently read that maybe it's not a good idea to store a mic "permanently" with a silica patch, as I have done. The patch is supposed to absorb moisture thus keeping the mic moisture free; but what I read was that a silica dessicant can sometimes absorb too much moisture and when this happens problems can happen. I'm just wondering if moisture has entered the mic?
Anyway, I'll check out the studio projects site (I didn't know they had one). Thanks.

maybe your forgot to turn off the phantom power before you disconected
the mic. I did that yesterday.I heard thats a cool way of fucking your mic up.

Maybe the insides took a shit ,I've had good luck with this mic and I haven't babied it either. Contact studio projects thay seem to be a good company. :cool: :mad: :rolleyes: :)

big country said:

I unplug mics that have phantom running to them all the time. It's only because I'm lazy but It's never screwed up a single on of my mics.

Back