Help with Neumann TLM 103 (Audio included)

Shout It Out

Hello,

I posted about an issue I was having with my Nuemann TLM 103 that I bought at a local music store second hand. After recording a few songs with it and having to cut out and of the audio without music and also needing to compress vocals a ton to get a suitable volume for tracks, I am wondering if the microphone has any issues.

Today I decided to gather some audio clips with a few different microphones and see if I can get some help.

For this test, I recorded with a Focusrite Clarett 2pre with "AIR" enabled. I recorded an acoustic guitar and voice from about 8 inches away from the microphones. for each level in the recordings went up 1 "notch" on the gain knobs. When I start each clip I start at 1/2 way on the dial which is about noon or "5" and I work my way up from 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

I record with a Shure SM Beta 58a, Shure SM57, Nady CM-88 for reference with another condenser, and the Neumann TLM 103.

Please don't judge performance, I am just looking for some feedback on the situation. My overall complaint, potential issue is the that TLM 103 sounds like it is putting out less output than the dynamic mics at the same gain settings. I would think it would be a bit "hotter" like the Nady microphone is. Also, when I get to about "7" on the gain knob, a lot of noise starts to appear with the Neumann where the other microphones are pretty silent. By the time I get a useable singal from the TLM 103, there is so much underlying noise. The room isn't the most well treated but I don't think it is room noise?

Sorry this is a bit rambly and maybe my tests arent the most scientific or helpful for this issue but any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a playlist on soundcloud hosting the files and each is downloadable if you would like to inspect. Each clip is 2 tracks, Guitar track and vocal track each recorded at the same geain settings as I move up from 5 to 10.

edit: I just feel like something is off about the way this captures sound. It has definition and dynamic range but it sounds a little off and the noise is far from what I expected when tracking with a normal amount of preamp gain.

Microphone Test by Keith C | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Well it would seem under the hood there is a black wire that connects the circuit board to the capsule. This is disconnected at the capsule. If I make a contact (without solder) it seems to solve all of the issues. I just am not comofrtable fixing this myself. Does this seem like it may be the culprit?

If reconnecting it sorts it, then just find somebody who can reconnect it. Mind you, why not ask the shop who sold it to fix it for you?

If reconnecting it sorts it, then just find somebody who can reconnect it. Mind you, why not ask the shop who sold it to fix it for you?

I've sent them an email. Hopefully they will be willing to help out. I've had the mic for 2 months and I just kind of accepted the performance as normal but I knew something was up.

Back