Help! Need condenser mic recommendations for female voice!

crazyloobie

Hi-

I have been scouring the internet reading reviews on different condenser mics in the $200-500 range, have been to several stores (all of which have given me conflicting information,) and I don't know where else to turn.

I am looking for a condenser mic that is appropriate for my vocal style (which is difficult to find since I can't test any mics,) and that is relatively quiet and versatile. I was told to buy a Rode NT2A, but then read many, many reviews indicating that it is a terrible mic for female voices, as the sound comes out too harsh.

I am an acoustic singer/songwriter, and have a indie folk/pop/rock sound. My voice is mezzo, very dynamic, and quite resonant. I sometimes sing in an airy, gentle way and other times, I full on belt. I want a vocal mic that is good for a mid-range female voice (like Alanis, Tori, or Patty Griffin,) that works well with a MOTU 828 and Apple set up (this is my home studio for private use.) If any of you are producers/engineers and can point me to recordings of female vocalists you have worked with on the internet so I can hear a real life example, even better.

The mics the stores recommended to me were the Rode NT2A, Shure KSM32, and AKG C214. Feedback on these and others are GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks so much for your help!

AT4033a is good for female vocals. It picks up a lot of room, so if you don't have a good one, you might not consider it. Typically used on craigslist for $200-ish. Shock mount, yes. Pop screen, yes. But might be extra. I liked mine for it's clarity, it just didn't favor me in the tenor voice.

At some point you are just going to have to pull the trigger and pick one. If you are lucky the first choice will suit your aesthetic.

Unfortunately more important then mic is the room, the worse the room the less important, after a point, is the mic.

A whole host of people have used some very inexpensive mics to record an immense number of wonderful recordings

Of the three you list (while saying nothing about the Rode or C214) my gut reaction, from your description would be to reach for the KSM32 (or for a bit more money it's multi pattern sibling KSM 44) . . . Partially because they seem to retain resale value, so that if after a year you are not quite satisfied, find a mic that is better suited to your aesthetic sense and decide not pursue a creeping mic locker KSM 32 is a great work horse mic

Couple of other options to look at: the Equitek e300 ( out of production but regularly available in the $300 range) was an unsung hero of the early cost effective (at the time anything below $900) usable mics I have occasionally used for female vocals for which in a pinch I might be forced to describe with terms similar to ones you use

Overall on female vocals I'd tend to prefer the AT4050 (over AT4033a), For it's price I think it is a reasonably effective 'work horse' mic as well

Another less obvious option is to pick up an inexpensive mic body (MXL line for example) and have a custom mod done on it. I've had Michael Joly here modify several mics & have been very pleased with results (usual caveats, no affiliation with Okatava mod, YMWV, etc.) An MXL 4000 plus the K47 mod (new capsule as well as electronics) runs you to the $500 limit (with shipping etc. Perhaps a bit above) When I pursue this route I have either gotten usable mics from bodies that I would have otherwise discarded or turned a mic I was more or less indifferent about into something that sees regular use (and there are other enterprises specializing in modifications. They do require a bit more research then buying from a major retailer and they are never going to be cheap as, nor would you expect to retain resale value commiserate with your investment (compared with buying an upscale name branded mic) but usable bang for buck can be quite high)

Roughly in the same price point as the C214 you can cross into Boutique mic territory . . . There Just isn't enough time to review those options but am currently debating a 3 Zigma Audio LOL-47 (to fill a slightly deficient U47 'sound' niche in the cabinet) they can be found here

Though I might lean towards 67 capsule for female (or not just depends) (again no affiliation with 3 Zigma Audio or vendor just examples to consider beyond the most obvious ubiquitous big box retailers)

My guess is that if you emailed Michael Joly with questions concerning which mic body would be cost effective source and which mod might be best guess to pursue, while there is no guarantee that he'd be absolutely correct I would suspect that his replies would be more valuable then any info derived from standard retailer. His business depends largely on word of mouth.

(Oh, I have used MOTU's 828 series since its inception and generally speaking would have no problem plugging any of the mics mentioned into one (for vocals I typically use different pre's then ones on any A/D but that's a different story))

Even as you are getting started the 'way' to buy mics is to audition them . . . Go home sleep on it go back audition some more, go home sleep on it for a week, audition some more

Unfortunately the 'better' the mic the more it will reveal about deficiencies in other aspects of the signal chain (room placement performance in that order and everything else (including 'pre' distant also rans) so any of the mics you initially mention can work . . . If Rode is a little 'bright' change your orientation to it, fold back more 'room' sing a little off axis, position it so you have to use diaphragm, etc. Etc. Ultimately you'll have to learn all the room and positioning skills any way . . . So initially you just try to pick a mic that doesn't unduly get in the way . .. Any of your first three could fill that bill, as well as any of the ones I've suggested (though I still tend to lean towards the KSM32, not as 'perfect' but as lowest risk . . . With the potential benefit that supposedly Shure is redesigning the mic so their might be some blowout deals coming up (or not if vendors think the old one will have cache value)).

Good luck

Last edited:
Kel HM2-d

I'd also check out the Kel HM2-d in your price range. I've been getting great results with it on female voice. Check your pm's, I sent you a sample ;)

I've used an NT2-a on a couple of female vocals and I get really smooth sounds. I set it to omni and let it shine :)

I work with 3 female vocalists, and am also an acoustic singer-songwriter. They are an alto, a genuine contralto, and a mezzo. I've got clips from the album up on my website, and I'll give you the link. Unfortunately, they are in backing vocalist roles, so their vocals are stepped on a bit in the mix. The weird thing? We did extensive mic shootouts with all 3 of them, including a C414B-ULS, a B.L.U.E. Kiwi, SM7, Rode NTK, and all 3 of them kept coming back to Oktava MK319! The only place I would consider buying this mic is The Sound Room, where they do good customer service and extensive quality control. Here's their link:

http://www.oktava.com/inc/sdetail/476

For what it's worth, the clips are here:

http://bardwire.com/reunion.htm

The mezzo is on tracks #2 and #9
The alto on track #4
The contralto on tracks #5 and #10
and 3 part- tenor, mezzo, and contralto on tracks #8 and #13

They are all 1 minute clips. All female vox were done with the Oktava. Hope you find the mic you are looking for.-Richie

In my limited experience I have found that the M-audio Luna works really well with female vocals, definitely one of the best in it's price range imo.

Back