[SOLVED] Help with my Neumann TLM 103

Shout It Out

Hello. I recently purchased a used Neumann TLM 103 from my local music store for a good price of 650. I got it home and was so excited to try it out but to my surprise it didn’t quite sound as expected. I am running it through a Mbox 2 right now and most of my microphones I put through it sound hot and clip fairly easily if not set properly for the source.

I wanted to record some vocals and with the Neumann I can’t get it to clip. It sounds very quiet coming through and I have to push the preamp up to about 3 o’clock for any useable levels. At this point, the Mbox2’s gain is almost maxed and additional noise enters the sound.

The Neumann sounds good all in all after processing with compression but I thought the original source audio would be louder. Could there be something wrong with the Microphone? I couldn’t find anything else online that described a similar issue.

I can provide more details if needed. Thank you.

Edit: I’m hoping maybe the Mbox pre is the answer and not a dud mic. Do I need a preamp with more gain?

Last edited:
Recording Hacks shows : Cardioid (23 mV/Pa; 20 - 20,000 Hz)

If you consider the SM7b at -59 db 1v at 1pa (1.12 mv/pa)

The 103 is around -32 db.

I don't know what other mics you have that have "higher/hotter output". But you could pop in the mv/pa value in this converter and it might help understand the difference.

Convert millivolt per pascal [mV/Pa] to decibel relative to 1 volt per 1 microbar [dB re 1 V at 1 mbar] • Microphone Sensitivity Converter • Acoustics — Sound • Compact Calculator • Online Unit Converters

add>
I was looking ta my interface.

Its scaled 10 dots. So my SM7b requires it to be on 10...full gain.
KSM LDC mics range 15mv/pa to 28mv/pa and work well at 8 with a fairly soft sound (vocal or acoustic), maybe even 50% at 5 , if up close on the mic.
I assume your 3 oclock is 80% full gain, that might be similar to what I see here, without knowing your source volume or distance to mic.

Last edited:
It is very directional and I have to ask.....you do have it with the correct side facing you? With the name triangle towards you.

You need to position it directly in front of your mouth. It is not a microphone to talk over the top or from the side.

I find it picks everything up. So if a truck goes by outside and you do not hear it, you certainly will on playback.

It is very directional and I have to ask.....you do have it with the correct side facing you? With the name triangle towards you.

You need to position it directly in front of your mouth. It is not a microphone to talk over the top or from the side.

I find it picks everything up. So if a truck goes by outside and you do not hear it, you certainly will on playback.

Interesting. I have it facing the correct way and it sounds phenomenal. I just haven’t worked with a mic that requires so much gain to get decent levels. I end up having the use bit extra compression to get it up to par.

I suspect that the phantom power in your Mbox might not be stiff enough for your Neumann. Turn off the onboard 48v and use an outboard supply.

Well we use the 103 and the Rode 1TNA and the is a big difference. The Rode is a lot easier. With the 103 you have to be right on the mic and directly in front of it or turn the gain up and be 3 feet away so you can move about.

I suspect that the phantom power in your Mbox might not be stiff enough for your Neumann. Turn off the onboard 48v and use an outboard supply.

This is kind of what I suspect but I’m wondering why my cheap tossaround condensers are fine with it.

This is kind of what I suspect but I’m wondering why my cheap tossaround condensers are fine with it.

The TLM103 manual shows 48vdc @ 3.0 ma. The Mbox shouldn't have a problem providing that current and that's pretty average compared to most mics. The 23mv/PA is pretty much middle of the road as well (at least compared to what I have). What are your other mics you're comparing to? What kind of distance do you typically have between you or instrument and a mic?

The Mbox appears to have a max gain of 40dB (I think). This seems a bit on the low side if what I read is correct (other current interfaces maybe up around 50-55dB gain), so may need the gain pushed more if your other mics are just a slight bit hotter.

- Tried a different cable?

- Likely not a problem since the mic sounds OK with no noise, but try drying it in a ziplock bag with a couple silica gel desiccant packs. Moisture on the capsule might pull down the bias voltage on the capsule causing a reduced output

- Likely not a problem since the mic sounds OK with no noise, but try drying it in a ziplock bag with a couple silica gel desiccant packs. Moisture on the capsule might pull down the bias voltage on the capsule causing a reduced output

I’m going to try the silica gel.

I tried it out again today and the problem seems less noticeable. I ran it through a Joe Meek VC1 and it performs as expected.

I think the problem is either the Mbox 2 or I am crazy.

I’m floored at how great this sounds through the VC1.

Thanks for the input everyone. I was just a little concerned with it being a used microphone.

Your other mics might not need as much current or just tolerate a wider range of voltage/current. Some mics need 48v @ a specified current on the nose. I had a mixer with onboard phantom that couldn't handle some mics for the same reason.

Those VC1 are great. Same transformer as used in BAE pieces too, which is a nod to the high end.
I'll guess the 48v on the mbox was weaker, that's my 2 cent guess.
Glad to hear the mic is sounding great for you!

Back