Help with my AKG D112

basils

Just got in an Akg d112 that I bought used. This is the one that preceded the current version I believe, and is made in China. I opened it up and noticed 2 things that maybe you kind sirs can help me out with:

1) there is dust on the diaphgragm (front membrane, mesh grill side). How do I safely clean this? Or should I just leave it as is?

2) on the back metal casing, on the inside, there was black gum like substance. It spread to the wires connecting the mic element to the xlr input stem. Should I leave it there or should I try to remove it? It's sticky but I believe I could get most off.

The mic works as it should...just wanted to make sure that these won't cause problems. Thanks in advance ?

The original D112, the one with the XLR in the tube at the bottom, not in an extra bit attached to it, did not come from China. They were made in the old factory. The cheaper price of the MkII version makes me wonder if it's from China, but the original certainly wasn't. As for your dusty issue - air in a can is the solution here, not your fingers.

D112 2.jpgD112.jpg

Thank you for your reply. Yes, that's the one I have. It says made in china at the end of the tube. Apparently the ones after the "hollow logo" edition, with the solid lettering were made in china. Not sure though if this applies to all solid logo d112s. Any idea what the black goop is?

Crazy amount of rubbish inside - have you found out what the sticky stuff is? If the contamination is free and can be blown off, that's what I'd do. Where it's on solid plastic, and stuck, I'd leave it if the mic performs ok - but it's clearly been somewhere nasty!

Indeed, dust on delicate surfaces is usually only cleaned using a compressed air can.

I don't think compressed air would work. Used a soft paintbrush to check if the dust would move. Didn't budge.

Crazy amount of rubbish inside - have you found out what the sticky stuff is? If the contamination is free and can be blown off, that's what I'd do. Where it's on solid plastic, and stuck, I'd leave it if the mic performs ok - but it's clearly been somewhere nasty!

Seems to be some sort of goop adhesive applied to keep the wires in place, maybe. Doesn't look factory though. There was a bit too much used, and it was applied rather clumsily. You're right, I'll just leave it as is. Mic performs the way it should.

Thanks for the replies!:thumbs up:

Back