Help to find a Rap Microphone

Slyve

Hello,

I'm french pianist (so excuse my english) and I'm doing rap, now. I'm looking for a good microphone, a professional one.
And I want it hilights my voice,
and if possible a microphone able to record piano too (but not necessary. I almost want the Rap .
I searched a lot, but it's very difficult,
I don't have enough knowledge.

You can see here some of the microphones I saw in my research:
- Neumann TLM 102 / TLM 103 (I heard it wasn't so good, expensive because of the brand.)
-Sennheiser MK4 (people told me it's like Neumann TLM 102, but cheaper)
-AKG C414 Xlii (I saw on forums that he is very versatile, but not very good for all the things it can do)
-Rodes K2 (Some people recommend, other don't)
-Warm Audio WA-251 (I never heard it on deep voice. Could it be good for my voice?)
-Warm Audio WA-87 (Is it really close to the initial Neumann? Good for me and rap? )
-Rode Classic II (My heart stroke)

So, I watch a lot of comparative videos, blind tests...I'm lost.
I don't know anymore what to do, what to take, what to buy
On any mics, I read good and bad things.
I actually own a Fireface UC (with good preamps, I think).

I guess I have to describe my voice in order to give you more informations to help me.
You can hear it here between 00m45 and 01m05 in the video "La Belle et le Corbeau", on Youtube (M.R. Elektron channel). I can't post the link here.
Otherwise, I have a male voice, barytone or light lyric tenor, I don't know very well...
I have deeps but can go in the treble.

My budget is around 900€ (981 $ ) . I really want a good product with professional sound.

Thank you in advance for your help, so that I can find the microphone of my dreams, which will perfectly enhance my voice, with professional sound, and without paying a brand for a result not worth the price.

I am not partitioned to these microphones : Do not hesitate to suggest the ones that are the best for you based on my research.

amicably

Most all of those microphones will give a professional result. The differences in sound are probably more subtle that one might think based on reading things on the internet. There tends to be a lot of exaggeration of the pros and cons of various mics.

Slyve, let me approach this from a bit of a different angle.

Obviously you've done some professional recording judging from your Youtube videos. What mic was used to produce those videos? Were you satisfied with the results? If so, that would be the place to start. For example, if you used a U87, then one of the many U87 style mics would be the place to start. While the Warm mics aren't perfect replicas of the Neumann originals, they do probably get 90%+ of the character. In some cases it might be virtually impossible to hear the difference.

I don't think there is a "rap" microphone. However, for my ear, rap music is much closer to spoken word than what is needed to capturing an opera singer. On the other hand, a piano requires a balance between a the lows and highs. I would concentrate my efforts there. The AKG 414 can work will with a piano, and having different polar patterns plus several high pass filter points can add some versatility.

I don't know of many people who would say that the TLM102 and 103 are bad mics. They save money by not making it a multipattern mic and not adding other options. They are very much professional grade.

I don't know your situation, and i'm sure some would disagree with me, but I would look to get more than one mic. You could use something like the Rode NT1 which I like a lot, or Warm 47jr for vocals. That would leave a fair amount of money to find a pair of mics to record the piano (especially if its a good grand piano). A pair of small diaphragm condensers might be better than a single large diaphragm. Or you might just get two LDC mics of the same type.

In terms of Youtube comparisons, I would look at Sweetwater and Soundpure's Youtube comparisons. They usually have the option of downloading raw audio files which avoids anything that Youtube might do to alter the sound. Sound on Sound is usually pretty straightforward in their comments.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. Its not a "buy this" recommendation, but I don't know that anyone can do that all that easily.

TalismanRich,
A big thank you! You have given me a lot of information and advice which is very useful to me.
I'll go watch the YouTube channels you tell me about.

Indeed, we did studio work for the rap group. It was on an Apex 460. I'm not sure it's the mic of the century. So it may not be the best to orient myself. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to try a Neumann or other excellent microphones.

I agree that rap is a lot like spoken word.

TLM 102 and TLM 103 are very clear and I also find them excellent for all that is "voice over".

For you, the WA-47jr would be more appropriate than a Rode K2, for my voice?

Could the WA-47jr also manage for a piano take?
Otherwise, I will look next to take two small diaphragm microphones.
Do you have any advice on this?

I found an interesting video with nice comparisons. However, the models seem a bit expensive (since it takes two to be effective).
DPA D:Vote 4099
Audio-Technica AT4040
Audio-Technica AT4051B
Oktava MK 012 (that I find a little less pleasant to listen to)
I for my part have an upright piano. I'm not lucky enough to own a grand piano.

Thank you again !

I don't know that I would say the 47jr would be more "appropriate" than the K2. From the various comparisons that I have listened to, the 47jr has a bit more presence than the K2. One possible issue with the 47jr could be an increase in sibilance. While listening to La Belle et la Carbeau, I realized how many sibilant sounds the French language uses.

If you want to stay with a tube mic, I think the K2 would be worth hearing. I would also try to listen to the Avantone CV12. For a non-tube mic, I still like the NT1. Cost is relatively low, but I think the quality is very high. The noise is very low, and the sound is not boosted on the high frequencies, like many lower priced condenser mics.

For piano, I tend to like the small diaphragms because they don't show as much boost in the lows. Its just a sound that I prefer. SE8s, Rode NT5s, AT4041s would be candidates. For 900€ you should be able to get a pair of mics, plus something like the Avantone.

I'm assuming you are planning to record at home. If you were planning to work in a studio, I would use their mics for the piano and just concentrate on your vocal mic.

Thank you very much,

Avantone seems very good. What do you think about the Avantone CV-95 ?
Is it better than the Avantone CV-12? And in comparaison to the Rode K2 ?
It is my big question.

Otherwise, SE8 are very good.

Yes you're right, that's why I want to chose the good microphone.
The three last microphones in my list are, so, Rode K2, Avantone CV-12, Avantone CV-95 (I found a great occasion on it)

I know nothing of the CV95. The CV12 has been around a while, has been favorably reviewed, and has even been touted as the "Taylor Swift" microphone. The Rode mics seem solid to me, I like their products and they stand behind their equipment. I've got M5s and the NT1 now, and have used or heard the NT4 and NT5s.

The best way to determine if its right for you is to test it. I know that SoundPure in the US has a "try before you buy" policy. I believe Sweetwater in the US do this also. I don't know if any EU outfits do a similar thing, like Thomann, or if you can find a shop in your region that has a selection to test or a similar policy.

One problem today is that there are so many makers of microphones that you really can't be familiar with them all. Some are new companies, some are old established ones, but have been bought or sold (both AKG and Neumann). 40 years ago, you had a few solid companies, like Shure, AKG, EV, Sennheiser, Neumann, Beyer. Will Lauten, Lewitt, Austrian Audio, Bock, Manley, Peluso be there in 15 years.

"Better" is a tough thing to nail down. Is a Cabernet better than a Merlot or a Pinot Noir? It all depends on your taste, the same as microphones. Some mics will be bright, some dark, some smooth. The things you want are good clarity and low noise.

Thank you !
I called a company earlier in France to get information on K2. The first told me about the Avantone CV-95, telling me that they had it used and that it was really a range above.
I then called a second store. Again, I talked about the Rode K2. Then I talked about the Avantone CV-95. He said he didn't know it, but he thought the CV-12 would be better for rap, but less clear than a Rode K2. And since the CV-95 is a range above, it's a safe bet that it will be even better than the CV-12 for my needs. They also said that what was unfortunate with the K2 was that it did not have the -10 option, which would make it complicated, for example, to record an acoustic guitar by taking the wrong frequencies , while the Avantone would apparently have more possibilities. That's what they told me.

I can not find any video concerning the Avantone CV-95 and I must admit that by reading the technical sheet, it does not advance me at all. Just by reading the specifications, I can't think of anything better than the CV-12 ... Still, it's worth about € 150 more.

Indeed, it's all about taste, I guess.
In terms of clarity, I still think it is. One of the sellers told me that it was a little more compressed sound, very good for rap, pop etc.
And otherwise its Equivalent noise level is 18dB (A weighted EC651)

And as there is an opportunity in store on the Avantone CV-95, it's tempting. Despite everything, I am surprised that there are so few videos and others on this microphone ...

" hi for vocal rap music i would definitely suggest either the cv12 or the cv12bla. in fact, i actually used a piano when i was voicing the cv12bla. thanks "
Here's what Avantone said to me.

My singer raps and he likes his beta57a... and plus he says it is way better than his sm58.
I know these are cheap mikes, but sometimes you don't have to go to incredible lengths with prices to expect magic to happen.

Back