Headworn Mic for outdoors?

nataq

Hi people. I’m new and hope I’m not at the totally wrong place.

I’ve been searching the web for hours for info. I have a youtube channel about photography and usually use a lavalier mic. I do a lot of recording outdoors and rotate my head a lot. So I thought the best option would be using a headworn mic.
BUT: I live in an area with constant wind. So I have two questions:
Will these serve my needs at all?
Some cost 600+USD, others a handful. I’m considering the medium price range around 250USD. Will there be a difference in regard to wind resistance (with or without that classical fur), and if yes, how would I know without testing?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Wolfgang.

It's more of a video thing, so maybe a video forum or sound-for-video (there's a guy that does a lot of that) might get you answers from folks doing it.

Typically you're likely to have a wireless lav on the "talent" along with a guy with a shotgun in a blimp and fur, and that might be wired or wireless. You hope for the best, but monitoring the sound (another guy, or possibly the guy with the blimp) will tell you if there's too much wind noise to get a take from one or the other sources.

But, I have to ask why your face has to be in the video, and you can't just do voiceover for much of the outdoor sound. I mean, it's about photography. Choose days that aren't windy if you have to have some headshots, and use a wireless lav, then do voiceover for everything else. I don't know that you'll get one of those headset kind of mics to work in wind - they're typically omnis, and enough of a windblock (dead cat) to be effective is going to look odd, especially when it sticks to your lips and tongue :).

Thanks for the tips, Keith. A lot of it is voiceover and another part is done in Studio. But I want it to be as entertaining as possible and also travel to locations. So I can‘t always wait for the wind.

If it's windy, then a headset will need either foam cover or hairy cover - both of course look pretty silly. An alternative is a shotgun with a large fury cover, or one of the one piece covers that are furry on the outside and an open mesh on the inside. Either in shot, or just out of a closer, tighter shot.

Back