Groove Tubes Model 66 ?

larrye

I am interested in the Groove Tubes Model 66 that is sold only at Guitar Center for $499. Is this the same as the GT-66? I have not been able to find out any info or reviews of the model 66. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I have heard the GT-66 is a great tube mic for the buck but it is around $900 from midiman.

Thanks,
Larrye

I've got a GT 66 and I really like it. I A/B'ed it with several mics, including a Studio Projects C1, an AT 4047, and a Rode NTK. It was definitely the least impressive as far as first impressions go. But I noticed when I did a blind comparison, the 66 was the one I kept going back to that I like. I have used it on vocals and acoustic guitar now with great results. In my opinion it's pretty neutral but is also pretty full. It's one of the more versatile mics in my cabinet.

I don't think you'd be dissappointed at all with this mic.

Jeremy

I bought the equivalent mic just as Alesis stopped making these at a "blow-out" price. I really like the mic, but I don't really have anything similar or useful to compare it to.

Midiman seems to make these now and there are a few reviews here:

http://www.midiman.com/products/gtmics/gt66.php

And Sweetwater sells some of the models (but, not all, I guess?):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GT67/

But yes, I think that GT is an abbreviation for Groove Tubes.

larrye said:
Thanks DJL,

I tried but no luck.
Larrye
It’s all right here at the link DJL provided. You just have to jockey your way through the menus until you find it.

Here’s the link to the GT66 where it contains the following information:

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1598

“As of January 2002 Groove Tubes microphones are now exclusively distributed worldwide by M Audio (formerly Midiman), with the only exception of Model 55 and Model 66 which are exclusively sold through Guitar Center stores in the USA market. Outside of the USA, M Audio distributes the Model 55 and Model 56. “

I knew:

1. GT=Groove tubes
2. M audio sells the GT-66 for $900
3. Guitar center Sells the model 66 for $499

I do not know what the difference is in these two mics. This is what I would like to know

Heck, I think I will just buy the MXL V-69.

Thanks,
Larrye

larrye said:
I knew:... M audio sells the GT-66 for $900...

...I do not know what the difference is in these two mics. This is what I would like to know...
There is no difference. :)

I just can't figure out where you saw M Audio selling the GT-66 for $900? I went to M Audio's page on the GT-66 here: http://www.m-audio.net/products/gtmics/gt66.php

...and found this transcription below it in big bold red letters:

“International distribution only. Not available through Midiman U.S.”

Flatpicker said:
I just can't figure out where you saw M Audio selling the GT-66 for $900?
Wait a minute... I bet you saw the "List" price somewhere. Something like $899? Pay no attention to that. The only thing that matters is what Guitar Center is selling them for.

It's the same mic, though.
:cool:

I dig the GT66 mic, to me it sounds fuller and more solid than my former Rode NTK, which I found nice but too shrill on the high end, like an enhancer. The GT66 is a thicker, more neutral sounding mic that helps me get my vocals right in the "mid"dle of the music. I use it with a Great River MP-2NV, which leaves little to be desired. Also, using a little subtractive eq allows this combination to cover many vocal applications.

leeg said:
I dig the GT66 mic, to me it sounds fuller and more solid than my former Rode NTK, which I found nice but too shrill on the high end, like an enhancer. The GT66 is a thicker, more neutral sounding mic that helps me get my vocals right in the "mid"dle of the music. I use it with a Great River MP-2NV, which leaves little to be desired. Also, using a little subtractive eq allows this combination to cover many vocal applications.
What do you mean by "more neutral sounding"?

By more neutral I mean less hyped, particularly in the higher (treble) frequencies, and therefore easier to place in an overall mix without having to tone it down. I found the NTK to sound like a mic through an enhancer (e.g., Aphex Aural Exciter, BBE), which I used to like because it sound good through headphones. Then when I would play it back through speakers it sounded screechy. The GT66 sounds smoother and more realistic to me, not enhanced as if the treble were turned up, but if anything, the midrange bumped a bit to boost its presence. I sometimes pull a few dBs down in the lower mids if I'm going for a thinner vocal sound. It seems easier to achieve more pleasing sounds if you start with a fuller sound and substract frequencies if necessary than starting with a thinner sound and boosting frequencies.

Oh ok, so by "more neutral sounding" you mean "closer to being flat"... or in other words... what you put into the mic is pretty close to what you get out of it. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Back