Great Values

Innovations

I thought I would put out my definition of a great value in gear and then get folks ideas of which pieces of gear qualify.

A great value is a piece of gear where, to upgrade to something better you would have to spend a whole lot more money.

So a $89 dollar mic could be a great value if upgrading to anything better would cost at least $160 or a $160 mic could be a great value if upgrading to anything better would cost at least $300 and so forth. In other words great values can exist anywhere on the price spectrum.

So, what mics, preamps, etc. do you think fit this description?

Well, since this is the Microphone forum:

Peavey 520i - a large diaphragm dynamic mic which can be had cheap. Since I found out how good it works for kick drum, I sold my AKG D112.

Electrovoice N/D 367 - a great dynamic mic for live sound, cheap.

Shure 330/333/SM33 - haven't been made for years, but they can be found on eBay for $300 - $500. If you want a better ribbon mic than one of these, you'll spend a lot more money.

Innovations said:
I thought I would put out my definition of a great value in gear and then get folks ideas of which pieces of gear qualify.

A great value is a piece of gear where, to upgrade to something better you would have to spend a whole lot more money.
So a shitty $5 Radioshack mic would be a great value because it would cost more than $10 more to get something better? Even though it's shitty sounding? I don't get it....

OneRoomStudios said:
So a shitty $5 Radioshack mic would be a great value because it would cost more than $10 more to get something better? Even though it's shitty sounding? I don't get it....
Well, yes. If the $5 mic sounds better than all the $6, $7, $8, and $9 mics out there isn't it the thing to get if you don't have $10? Not that many of us would recommend entering the market at that point. But there are people that only have a $5 to $9 mic problem...maybe they want to record voice-memos or attach to a boom box to make a cheap bullhorn for calling in children from the playground...

OK, Innovations, I'll bite- Pieces of gear that generate great value at their price point:

Oktava MC012, MK319
Sennheiser e835, MD421
FMR Audio RNC
AKG D320 and 330 series (discontinued), C2000B
TC Electronics M300
Behringer VAMP II
Studio Projects C-4
Joemeek twinQ
Rode NTK
M-Audio DMP-3
Korg PXR4 Pandora

Every one of those pieces of gear is something that has proven to be worth quite a bit more than what I paid for them, and have survived the test of time. The only one I don't own currently is the MD421, which I borrowed, and now I want one.-Richie

Back