great price on SM57's and 58's

Capn,

I took the bait and bought one. I will pick it up tomorrow and tear it apart to see if it is a legit 58.
D

Follow up:

Broke it down and most indicators are that it appears legit and manufactured on 09/02/2011. Box, box contents (mic stand adapter, paperwork, sticker, warranty, velcro cord strap, mic bag from China), machined lip, black windscreen/gray cartridge screen, no CAUTION sticker, 1-2-3-Shure on XLR pins, silicone packed, yellow/green wiring, etc.. The only thing that I did not check was weight (.298 kg) and resistance (300 ohm).

The only concerns that I saw:
~the BestBuy58 circuit board inspector stamp was painted white, like the DC"+" sign. The borrowed 58 has "Mexico" printed in red lettering on the circuit board.
~the BestBuy58 SM58 logo around the neck is painted with a thinner, cleaner "SM58-lettering" than the one that I have borrowed.
~the borrowed 58 has three holes (two drilled [one w/ screw, other hole open] and one XLR clip hole). The BestBuy58 has two holes; one drilled (w/ screw) and one XLR clip hole.

In an A/B test with four different pres, the borrowed 58 is slightly hotter than the new BestBuy58.

Conclusion: Sounds good, smooth, and displays the typical proximity effect. Compared to the borrowed 58, I like the sound as it is not as hot. I may have borrowed a cloned 58, or I have two really GOOD fakes.
D

I took advantage of this sale and got a 57....already own a 58. But, none of the Best Buys in my area stock Sure.... all they stock is Samson products. :yawn: Since there is a Music and Arts across the street from Best Buy, I looked to see if they had any in stock....trying to avoiding shipping charges and tax(state of DE has no sales tax). They did, and were willing to match Best Buy's sale price on the SM57. And, I knew about the $10 Sure rebate before it was mentioned here. $65 is a darn good price for that mic. Should have probably gotten more than 1, but that'll do for now. Thanks for the heads up!

Thsoe are some nice prices, but one of my favourite things about 57s and 58s is that their pretty inexpensive to begin with. I won't complain if I ever get one for under $100 though.

Has anyone received their rebates? If so, how long did it take? I sent mine in about three weeks ago. You can check the status online by entering your name and address, but they don't have record receiving of my form yet. I know these things can take several weeks, if not months. Heck, it's only 10 bucks, but it sure does make a sweet deal that much sweeter.

Has anyone received their rebates? If so, how long did it take? I sent mine in about three weeks ago. You can check the status online by entering your name and address, but they don't have record receiving of my form yet. I know these things can take several weeks, if not months. Heck, it's only 10 bucks, but it sure does make a sweet deal that much sweeter.

Something to consider is that Best Buy is not an authorized Shure dealer - which is why they were able to sell these mics at a discounted price. Shure might not honor the rebate if your mics were purchased at a non-authorized dealer.

Something to consider is that Best Buy is not an authorized Shure dealer - which is why they were able to sell these mics at a discounted price. Shure might not honor the rebate if your mics were purchased at a non-authorized dealer.
I mentioned several posts back that I didn't get mine from Best Buy. They weren't in stock in my area, so I went to the Music and Arts across the street and they matched the price. Since M&A is owned by MF/GC, I'm quite sure they are authorized.

Back