good vocal mic/pre combo for less than $1000

Rocket Boy

what's a good vocal mic/pre combo for less than $1000? if the pre has two channels, that's even better.

i have a song i recorded myself at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hazzlemusic.htm it's called "run"... the others were recorded in a studio like a year ago. to me, i'd like to have a fuller sound... just kind of in general... and im looking at these mackie pre's and the AKG C2000b being my only large(med) diaphram condensor.

What mic/pre combo would would work for this style the best? also anything else that i need to be aware of in the recording. i'd like to record our next cd ourselves... and would really appreciate the help. thanks.

I'm currently on the prowl for a good vocal mic myself. If the ADK TC (I have one on order, but haven't used it) is as good as some have said, and if you can up your budget by a couple hundred, I'd say:

Summit Audio 2BA-221 Preamp $~600
ADK TC $~600

Of course, no one mic works on all vocalists. Depending on your voice, and on your style of music, that mic slot could be filled by the Blue Baby Bottle, the Studio Projects T3 or C1, or the AT 4040. It may take some time for you to find the right vocal mic.

You could get yourself an Audio Technica 4047 and a Safesound Audio P1 for about a grand. Maybe an RNP if you have to have 2 channels.

For WAY under $1000 I'd say you can't go wrong with one of the pretty universally-liked mics on this board, like the:
1) Studio Projects B-1 ($79)
2) MXL V67 ($99)
3) Studio Projects C-1 ($199)

and a great but inexpensive preamp like the M-Audio DMP3, which you can find for around $120-150. It's a 2-channel and is really clean and sweet sounding in my experience. I find it works particularly well with the V67G, so you can get yourself a really great sounding setup for around $200-250, and use the rest of your money for other things, which can be equally as important when recording. Or you could step it up a notch and go with the RNP, which runs around $475.

Rocket, without the benefit of hearing you in person, the Electro-Voice RE20 would be a safe choice.

Better still, would be for you to personally try a variety of microphones, expecially advisable on
condensers. FWIW I like the SP T3 very much in the under $500 price range in LDC's.

IMHO one vocal mic isn't enough.
Two or three different ones are a good idea for a number of reasons, including singing in different keys, etc. Most groups don't have a pro arranger to tailor the songs around the lead vocalist.

Also a good room will outweigh "which pre" on
the condensers as they are more sensitive
than a dynamic as far as ambient pick up.

Hope this helps...

Chris

Back