good recording mics for under 100 bucks

JG96

Im Basically making a grocery list of everything I need for my studio, Im trying to find some nice mics for vocals. I prefer ones that don't use phantom my interface can only give phantom on 4 channels each, and all my recording mics are dynamic. Does phantom power break dynamics? if you have a recording on a mic you recommend I wana hear it.

Phantom power wont bother dynamics.

And you can't go wrong with a standard Shure SM-57 or 58.

(You're not really going to find anything else under $100 worth getting...)

It's hard to beat Shure SM-57 & SM 58 mics.
Depending on what you will be recording you should consider some condenser mics and there are some decent mics in that under 100 range.
I have a pair of MXL V63MPB large diaphram mics in the locker that are great for vocals at a short distance, acoustic instruments and I use them as ambient mics for recording drums or live shows. I also have a pair of Behringer C-2 small diaphram mics that I use for acoustic guitars, hand percussion, drum overheads and sometimes off axis guitar amps. I do have an ART TPS II fair quality mic pre that gives all the mics a leg up
OK sure these mics are not world standard, I cannot afford them on my budget, but with proper placement, proper gain they can deliver a very good recordings.

If you're willing to buy used mics and you're patient, you can get a lot of different ones for around $100. Get 91% isopropyl alcohol to wipe them down with :) and try not to buy a used SM58 or other handheld vocal mic -- too much spit gets on those :D -- but bassbrad and TimOBrien are right - they're around $100 new.

Check out naiant mics: http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/microphones.html - plenty good for a lot of instruments and cheap.

if you must spend $100

JG96,

There are many mics in my fifty dollar mic thread that are not only good quality but are used in recording and video studios all over the world. Most of them are dynamics.

But if you must spend $100 I have some recommendations for you.

Beyer M400 Soundstar II - I bought mine under $100 but that is rare. Expect to pay between $100 and $150. Great dynamic vocals mic that is also very versatile.

Audio Technica AT4054 - This is a condenser stage vocals mic. Similar to the studio mic AT4050. Fantastic buy when you can find one under $150.

Superlux CM H8c - Three pattern condenser mic. Hard to find used. Usually $200 new but I bought mine under $100.

Peavey 520i (or 520tn) - This very versatile mic can be found under $100.

You really can't go wrong with any of these and in my opinion they are all head and shoulders above the SM57/58 mics.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I'd add the EV RE-15 and RE-16 to the list. Lots of the old motown hits were recorded with the RE-16 for vocals. Also used by Elvis back in the day. You can also find the out of spec, but still great, RE-10 and RE-11 versions of these mics. The RE-10 is an out of spec RE-15 and the RE-11 is an out of spec RE-16. Nothing wrong with these mics, they just didn't meet factory spec for teh model. The RE-16 is the vocal version of the RE-15 with more built in pop screening (like the the SM-58 is to the SM-57). There is also the RE-18 to consider. All should be under $100.

I'd add the EV RE-15 and RE-16 to the list. Lots of the old motown hits were recorded with the RE-16 for vocals. Also used by Elvis back in the day. You can also find the out of spec, but still great, RE-10 and RE-11 versions of these mics. The RE-10 is an out of spec RE-15 and the RE-11 is an out of spec RE-16. Nothing wrong with these mics, they just didn't meet factory spec for teh model. The RE-16 is the vocal version of the RE-15 with more built in pop screening (like the the SM-58 is to the SM-57). There is also the RE-18 to consider. All should be under $100.

i see at the ev website the re16 is still made...is this the same mic as has been around for years? do you know?

Mike

Stop! Stop! Stop! Stop! Stop!

STOP!

This question keeps getting asked here. It's a good question, but it's allready been answered.

The guys from homerecording.com compiled ALL YOU NEED/WANT TO KNOW HERE: http://www.hr-faq.org/

It's the most enlightning read on microphone's I ever had.

i see at the ev website the re16 is still made...is this the same mic as has been around for years? do you know?

Mike

Yup. Same mic. Cheaper used though. I just bought one last month for $79. I also have two RE-10s, one RE-15 and 2 RE-18s. All worthwhile mics.

Yup. Same mic. Cheaper used though. I just bought one last month for $79. I also have two RE-10s, one RE-15 and 2 RE-18s. All worthwhile mics.

sweet beans. i've heard of these - i think at RAP - but have never put forth the effort to find. i shall now...thanks...

Mike

603s!

I have had very good luck with the Marshal 603s, they are pretty cheap and sound great at many applications (Overheads, Guitars, Amps, Even Vocals)

Even though you don't want Phantom powered mics, these are great for the money and I find myself turning to them all the time, even over some other expensive Mics!

Hope this helps,
Julien

(We got our 603s with Marshal 4000s for a good price! You might want to get the $ together and go for that!)

Back