Good mic to use with a small video recorder?

Vigilante

Gear nut
If I have a small sized video recorder like the Sanyo HD1010, what would be a good general mic to use with the mic-in 3.5 jack?
Bullets are good for recording people and directional audio, I've got my eye on the popular Rode videomic, but again the camera is small and portable, that mic is a good size.

I'm going to be doing some recording at my sister's wedding and wanted an upgraded mic. As far as weddings go, I don't know if the bullet style is preferred, or if I want a more unidirectional to get a better idea of atmosphere, or some other pattern. Some help deciding would be good.

Anyway, so are there good (and smaller) mics that would work (either bullet or something else), that fits in a hotshoe, and doesn't have to be pro-grade, just a few steps better than the onboard mic is all I need.

Here is a Youtube video of a guy who has the Rode attached to a Sanyo which is the same size camera but not same model. As you can see the mic is rather large in comparison. This is okay if I have to, but looking for options.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9z2K7s9WLE

Thoughts?

I wonder if that is not too much though? I mean 4 mics recording in stereo 360 degree pattern? I guess it's adjustable, dunno.
So regarding a field recorder like that. Can it attach to the hotshoe with some adapter or another for hands free? Does it have direct out to plug in to the 3.5 on the camera? Isn't a bullet mic or directional mic more appropriate for a recorder?

Just wondering about some pros and cons about the setup.

I wonder if that is not too much though? I mean 4 mics recording in stereo 360 degree pattern? I guess it's adjustable, dunno.
So regarding a field recorder like that. Can it attach to the hotshoe with some adapter or another for hands free? Does it have direct out to plug in to the 3.5 on the camera? Isn't a bullet mic or directional mic more appropriate for a recorder?

Just wondering about some pros and cons about the setup.

I just keep mine on a shockmount attached to the tripod...and just because you can record in 360 dont mean you have to...Ill just use the 2 front mics and point it to what I wanna record.

What darrin_h2000 is talking about with the zoom field recorder is probably the best audio you'll get at the wedding
I have tried many times with different mics myself and when I got my zoom it was definably the way to go ...unless you have a huge budget.

Back