Good Dynamics that aren't SM57/58 for vocals

Seafroggys

With my home studio at my parents' house, and the fact I moved out two years ago, I have to make the 20 minute drive if I want to record stuff. Which is fine, but sometimes I just want to lay down some basic demo stuff and the drive ain't really worth it for that.

So I'm setting up a home away from home studio, and I'm looking for a basic dynamic that'd be good for vocal work. Yes, I know the SM7b, and yes, I have been wanting one for years, but just can't find any good used deals for them yet. What's something in the sub $150 that isn't an SM57 or 58, considering I already own 2?

I don't know about the price range, but I'd never have any problems using an md421.
You don't hear it mentioned all that often for vocals but I like it.

I've no experience with the 412II, which I believe has a bit of a presence boost, but I do have a pair of older 421ns that are lovely.

I've really love the Sennheiser e935 I use for vocals. It can be found in your price range. And if you're planning to record in less than ideal environments.........the side and rear rejection is excellent. Check out the reviews. IMO...much better than a 57 or 58. But.....as everyone here will agree to.......mic performance is subject to personal taste more than almost any other recording tool.

beyond what has been mentioned, while you're on the lookout for a good deal on a used SM7b, also be on the lookout for a good deal on a used Electro-Voice RE-20, or a Sennheiser MD-441 (I did snag a 441 within your budget once, but haven't seen one since).

Also, with a greater likelihood of success, think about an older Eletro-Voice RE-10 (or 15 or 16). The EV 635(a? b? -don't know about the letters) is an omni mic that can work pretty well for vocals if it's not picking up too much other stuff.

Also, if you're handy with a soldering iron and don't mind attacking one of your existing mics (one of the 57s, really), you might consider replacing the transformer with a TAB Funkenwerk T58 transformer ( http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/id67.html )

Henry recommended an EV D767 to me when I asked the same question a while back. Good choice. You have to get right on it which means lots of rejection off axis, but the neodymium thingy gives it a hot signal. Somewhere around $100.

HERE

beyond what has been mentioned, while you're on the lookout for a good deal on a used SM7b, also be on the lookout for a good deal on a used Electro-Voice RE-20, or a Sennheiser MD-441 (I did snag a 441 within your budget once, but haven't seen one since).

Holy cow there's some good ebay deals on the MD-441. Granted its still expensive, but its half off roughly speaking ($450 compared with $900 brand new). Based on the reviews, I would just have it replace my snare mic. Which would free up an SM57 for me to take back here, which isn't a bad idea! :D May add this to my wish list for down the road.

Beta57 I already knew about and was already considering since its right in the price range. Wish they were more common.

Lot of love for the e935 as well. When I go to the local music pawn/trade store I'll see what they have there.

Audix OM5. Excellent with the same range of uses as the SM57/58 but with a far smoother, more natural sound.

Henry recommended an EV D767 to me when I asked the same question a while back. Good choice. You have to get right on it which means lots of rejection off axis, but the neodymium thingy gives it a hot signal. Somewhere around $100.

HERE

Yup, yup, yup. :thumbs up:

Believe it or not you should check out and try the Shure Beta SM 52a.
Designed as a kick drum microphone you can get some really killer vocal tracks while using one. :thumbs up:

Just gotta always be thinking outside of the box whilst recording. Always!

I absolutely love my Sennheiser 935. In my opinion and personal experiences, it beats sm58's every time. I still may use 57's on my guitar cab, but not much recently.

Another vote for Sennheiser 935. It's been really great for me. Also just got a beat up ND767a and it sounds great. Have to replace the grill for all of $12.

Believe it or not you should check out and try the Shure Beta SM 52a.
Designed as a kick drum microphone you can get some really killer vocal tracks while using one. :thumbs up:

Just gotta always be thinking outside of the box whilst recording. Always!
Beta 52 on vocals? That is something I would have never thought of. My friend wanted to try a D112 on vocals and quickly dismissed the idea. I doubt it would top the SM7b. That thing makes me even like my own voice! :laughings::laughings:

Back