Going to buy my first mics

Sweetnighter

Getting mics will be the last step in finishing my studio,for the time being anyway, but I need some advice. I want to record vocals, trombone, saxophone, and bongos. My plan was to get a Shure SM58 dynamic mic since those have the rep for being reliable and the mic or last resort (or so i've read) and I'm looking to get a large diaphragm condenser mic as well. I have no idea what condenser mic to get. I was thinking of getting this Marshall Electronics MXL V57M mic since it was cheap ($60) but if its no good then I'd rather invest in a slightly more expensive mic, but I can't really afford to be spending more than $200 on mics... and the SM58 will be taking up half to that. Any recommendations or input? Do I even need the condenser mic or could I record all those instruments with the Shure mic?

thanks in advance!

Sweetnighter said:
Getting mics will be the last step in finishing my studio,for the time being anyway, but I need some advice. I want to record vocals, trombone, saxophone, and bongos. My plan was to get a Shure SM58 dynamic mic since those have the rep for being reliable and the mic or last resort (or so i've read) and I'm looking to get a large diaphragm condenser mic as well. I have no idea what condenser mic to get. I was thinking of getting this Marshall Electronics MXL V57M mic since it was cheap ($60) but if its no good then I'd rather invest in a slightly more expensive mic, but I can't really afford to be spending more than $200 on mics... and the SM58 will be taking up half to that. Any recommendations or input? Do I even need the condenser mic or could I record all those instruments with the Shure mic?

thanks in advance!
You'll find that the MXL's are mostly well-liked on this board. They generally work well for close miking of various things, vocals guitars, et cetera. And you can easily enough add character to them through EQ. You may find that a better bet would the the SM 57 for the brass and percussion you want to record. Its generally designated the "instrument" mic, whereas the 58 is the "vocal" mic. As for other cheap condensers, my suggestion would be a Large Diaphragm of sorts. The majority of the MXL's are workhorses, but look also at the Studio Projects B-line. B1 if you want the affordable ($80 or so) cardioid, and B-3 for multi-pattern stuff (can be a nice thing to have for varying vocal recordings). Also, M-Audio has a pretty good reputation. The nova is low-noise and has pretty consistent quality control, so a good choice for around $100. I hope this helps you,
Saskle

yeah, thats awesome, thanks.

so if you were in my shoes, would you get the SM57 and the SM58, or get the SM58 and one of the LDC mics, like the MXL's or one of the B-line mics?

The MXL V57M microphones were my first microphone purchase and i think they're a great value and can work for a variety of things for the money. At first I had two of these and a Shure SM57 and this setup worked great for me as i was getting started in recording.

I was actually considering selling my two MXL v57m's because now that i have a much larger mic collection and my audix scx-ones I don't use them much anymore (i mainly used the mxl's for drum overheads but now my scx-ones cover that job... they only run about 10x what i paid for the mxl's lol). let me know if you decide to go with the v57ms because id probably sell you one of mine for half of $60.

good luck getting started... id say the most important thing is to keep learning things and enjoy yourself.

Sweetnighter said:

thanks in advance!

Get the Shure SM57 for all these sources (and NO the 58 is NOT the same mic as the 57 for the 10000th time). There are differences that make the 57 better for what you want to accomplish. Just add a pop filter for vocals.

Another (better) option would be a used Senn MD421 if you can swing it. This mic is a better sounding dynamic and really shines in all of the things you want to record. It is ideal for you.

If you're on a tight budget buy the Shure SM57 (or SM58) used. You can easily pick one up for $50-$60. Both mics can take serious beatings for years so even if you purchase it used you won't likely hear any difference in sound quality over buying new and save $40 to put into a nicer condenser.

photoresistor said:
The MXL V57M microphones were my first microphone purchase and i think they're a great value and can work for a variety of things for the money. At first I had two of these and a Shure SM57 and this setup worked great for me as i was getting started in recording.

I was actually considering selling my two MXL v57m's because now that i have a much larger mic collection and my audix scx-ones I don't use them much anymore (i mainly used the mxl's for drum overheads but now my scx-ones cover that job... they only run about 10x what i paid for the mxl's lol). let me know if you decide to go with the v57ms because id probably sell you one of mine for half of $60.

good luck getting started... id say the most important thing is to keep learning things and enjoy yourself.

You'd be willing to sell me the MXL for $30? I'd be cool with that. Send me an e-mail, gutierrz12@adelphia.net.

Is the SM57 good for recording vocals as well?

Sweetnighter said:
Is the SM57 good for recording vocals as well?

You'll probably be better off using the condenser to record vocals, though many well known rock/pop vocal tracks have been recorded with the SM57. With a pop filter, it is a great live vocal mic, but generally not detailed enough for studio vocal tracks. It also performs better on guitar cabinets and drums than the 58. Just get it, dude.

Back