Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Go-to Mic for Voice Over work

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have some Line 6 radio mics - they have 6 different choices of 'sounds' from the popular manufactures, and I wonder how many people actually use them - I leave mine in the SM58 setting and EQ can make any tweak I need. I'm really not convinced that the tiny differences we've been talking about could NOT be done with EQ.

Thanks
    If you are a voice over man/woman can you only succeed and get the top paying jobs with the best microphone? If it was that easy then nobody would buy any other mic than the best.

As Rob says you can do a lot in processing. Many if not most voice over people do not use the best microphone money can buy or a U87.

There are more important things before you purchase your mic. Like the room you will record in for instance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemec View Post
    I do have a full acoustic treated space (isolation/reflexion adn difusion wise) at home for all my VO works (audiobooks, E-learning courses, comercial promos, Audioguides, etc).

Thank you for all the input and replies that this thread has had so far, all very helpfull.

After some extended research i kind of narrowed my choices to 3 mics;

Stam Audio SA-87 ( a vintage Neumann U87 replica)

Neumann TLM 103

Lewitt LCT 540 S

Any remarks or feedback regarding these 3 would be most appreciated

Again thanks a lot for all the help
    I can tweak the SA87 to be the same as an AI, which is brighter around 4K and not as dark as the standard SA87 which replicates the old ones

This is something more suitable for your field of work and a standard I believe in the industry.

Thanks
    The few V.O. projects I have had in last couple of years the producer and the artist all chose either my U87 (old version) or My Bock/Soundelux U195. I have friends who travel in international VO circles and their set up is a Manley Reference and a Redd 47 preamp. According to them, this is the gold standard these days.
    Chord with this, Teddy......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cavedog101 View Post
    The few V.O. projects I have had in last couple of years the producer and the artist all chose either my U87 (old version) or My Bock/Soundelux U195. I have friends who travel in international VO circles and their set up is a Manley Reference and a Redd 47 preamp. According to them, this is the gold standard these days.
    So we may be talking approx 6000 for that. Then your sound boothe and the rest of your equipment. I suppose you will not be getting much change out of 15,000 at least.

A lot of dosh! But still not much regards starting a business nowadays? Especially if you intend to do it properly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Orson View Post
    So we may be talking approx 6000 for that. Then your sound boothe and the rest of your equipment. I suppose you will not be getting much change out of 15,000 at least.

A lot of dosh! But still not much regards starting a business nowadays? Especially if you intend to do it properly.
    Yes. It certainly goes beyond the OP's post regarding budget. My point being there does seem to be a particular type of kit that the pro V.O. people tend to gravitate to. Another thing that I have learned about the 'bigger' VO projects is there are almost always auditions for them. The number of folks INVITED to audition decreases, the larger the project. Having quality and accurate editing seems to be the ticket besides having that "thing" in the voice and an assured way of reading and performing the text.
    Chord with this, Teddy......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cavedog101 View Post
    Yes. It certainly goes beyond the OP's post regarding budget. My point being there does seem to be a particular type of kit that the pro V.O. people tend to gravitate to. Another thing that I have learned about the 'bigger' VO projects is there are almost always auditions for them. The number of folks INVITED to audition decreases, the larger the project. Having quality and accurate editing seems to be the ticket besides having that "thing" in the voice and an assured way of reading and performing the text.
    To be honest I am nothing to do with being a Voice Over artist but what you say makes sense because it's very simple. If you were a carpenter you wouldn't go the supermarket and purchase 'their' cheapo range of tools. Any decent carpenter who was to offer a skilled service would buy only the 'professional' range of tools.

It wouldn't give much confidence to a prospective customer on your or a website if you listed your equipment as being of a 'diy' range. Saying that if you couldn't cut a piece of wood to save your life. It wouldn't matter what tools you have.

Same apply's to voice work.....playing instruments.....or anything.

Thread Information