Getting a TLM 102

Who wouldn't be?
Neumann TLM102
Verdict

At this price, the TLM102 isn’t going to be fighting it out with the armies of budget mics that seem to have flooded the market in recent years — but then it isn’t unduly expensive either, especially for a Neumann. It may not have all the frills of some of Neumann’s upmarket mics, or the free shockmounts and camera cases of many Chinese-manufactured mics, but it holds its own sonically, and it wouldn’t be disgraced in the presence of its costlier siblings. I’d certainly be happy to make this my go-to vocal mic — unless I specifically needed something with a more overt character to suit a particular voice — and for those project-studio owners who want just a single decent mic that can tackle a variety of sources as well as vocals, this should prove a very practical choice
Sound on Sound

and im PUMPED!

Good for you Bisson!
I looked at one when they first came out in the mags and thought why not. Then I saw one in real life and it fits in the palm of my hand. I was a bit turned off ..... but I got it anyways. It's good here and there and I'm sure you'll have plenty of good tracks with it.

Hey I'm free over the next few weeks give me a PM and I'll come over with a trunk full of microphones to have fun with.

OK, so it's small, but general impressions seem to support that it does what it was intended to- to be a versatile multipurpose condenser that slides neatly into that mid-priced range between the el-cheapo Chinese budget mics and the Oh-my-God sticker shock mics. There aren't that many mics that are legitimately in that range right now. Mostly, you get el-cheapo, the $500 works-better special (Baby Bottle, NTK, etc.), the all-purpose studio standard, which has now moved up to $1000 or-so (C414, KSM44), and OMG. I guess the 102 kind of goes head to head with AT4050. You don't get the 4050's multi-patterns, but you do get Neumann cachet, and it wouldn't surprise me if it gives you better high end detail, something the Neumann design team seems to like a lot. I think it's a much more marketable product than the TLM103, which never quite lived up to expectations. I think it is pretty much guaranteed to be good for *something*. And whoever said a mic had to be *big* to be good?-Richie

The only semi-negative (not really) thing I've heard about these bad boys is that they tend to pick up a pretty good amount of room, so make sure that's taken care of ;)

OK, so it's small, but general impressions seem to support that it does what it was intended to- to be a versatile multipurpose condenser that slides neatly into that mid-priced range between the el-cheapo Chinese budget mics and the Oh-my-God sticker shock mics. There aren't that many mics that are legitimately in that range right now. Mostly, you get el-cheapo, the $500 works-better special (Baby Bottle, NTK, etc.), the all-purpose studio standard, which has now moved up to $1000 or-so (C414, KSM44), and OMG. I guess the 102 kind of goes head to head with AT4050. You don't get the 4050's multi-patterns, but you do get Neumann cachet, and it wouldn't surprise me if it gives you better high end detail, something the Neumann design team seems to like a lot. I think it's a much more marketable product than the TLM103, which never quite lived up to expectations. I think it is pretty much guaranteed to be good for *something*. And whoever said a mic had to be *big* to be good?-Richie

True Richard ..... it's not in the size but how you use it!

Yes, Yes and Yes! Great sounding band as well!
Are you guys doing that in a home recording atmosphere?
After the 102 what was the rest of the recording chain?

Yes, Yes and Yes! Great sounding band as well!
Are you guys doing that in a home recording atmosphere?
After the 102 what was the rest of the recording chain?

Yessir, we are recording that in a home recording atmosphere.

Thank you much for the kind words.

The signal path was just TLM 102 into a Presonus fire studio tube, tube preamp input.

Thanks guitaristic!!

Not bad at all then Bisson!

Have I ran sound for you guys before? Have you ever done a gig with *Our Last Night*?
Your songs are very familiar.

Not bad at all then Bisson!

Have I ran sound for you guys before? Have you ever done a gig with *Our Last Night*?
Your songs are very familiar.

no we havent, and that song is still being recorded... we used to be an acoustic rock kind of band but we are transitioning with this upcoming album.

I'm not sure whether to say the mic does your band justice or your band does the mic justice--but the whole thing sound bloody good to me!

Put it this way, the track inspired me to put away my headphones on my laptop and go listen at decent levels on my DAW system and monitors--for a lazy sod like me that must say something!

I agree with the above- You rock! And I think your voice is *not* too loud where you say it is. Songs used to have something called "dynamics", where they get louder and softer. Then the compressor was invented to fix the problem which didn't exist. Good job, and some very nice guitar playing. I'm glad the mic works for you.-Richie

wow thanks guys!! i really appreciate that.

and im not going to bring my voice down with a compressor.... just bring the "fader" back a bit.

How'd it sound on the DAW?

Back