getting a Neumann TLM-102 tomorrow

pcstudios

I ordered a Neumann TLM-102 from Sweetwater and should be getting it tomorrow, for my home studio.. I hear the mic is great, looking forward to using it for acoustic instruments and vocals. It will be going into a Yamaha/Steinberg UR-44 preamp and converter. Anyone else own one of these? I'd be interested in any comments about it.

ill be interested in the review....1st impressions versus 50th impressions...

straight into the UR44...

whats the recording source, room etc...?

bump?
any real review... first impressions ...
Ive heard some get a U87 and be let down, expectations too high, some love it...obviously a industry standard.

TLM102... Neumann .. what ye say?

Ive heard some get a U87 and be let down, expectations too high, some love it...obviously a industry standard.

That's understandable - the U87 isn't superficially impressive but it just works in most situations. If you want a slightly more impressive sound then go for a U47. No idea how the TLM102 compares though and I can't find a really authoritative review of it at the moment (just the usual 'it sounds great' reviews).

The TLM 102 is a very clean and clear mic. It handles a lot spl and sounds excellent on a lot of sources. It is a 50ohm output mic so for some mating's with transformer front-end preamps it may sound a little brighter than it actually is. But with most modern gear it shouldn't be a problem. If I was in the market for a pair of excellent sounding LDC utility mics these are the ones I would buy.

I have NEVER been able to use reviews (and I respect the SOS reviews above others normally) to buy microphones. Well, that's actually not true - I've bought them and added them to the pile of anti-favourites. EV 320 and SM7B being my most pointless purchases. Nice mics, but just unexciting! On-line purchasing makes it far better to buy one and send it back if you don't smile when you plug it up!

I agree and is why I like this place for no-holds reviews...

no one is paid (most likely) so its a review from a user.
What type music, whats the room etc..is important. What preamps or loud or quiet sources etc...

That movie Sound City has McCarntey using a SM58 on the recording...but its more of that kind of song...maybe a Condenser mic for Blackbird and ballads and a SM58 for Helter Skelter and Cut me Some Slack...?

Back