flicking mic + cable!?!?

Devon8822

I have a strange problem that I have been trying to figure out for the past while. I just got 25 foot of canare and some neutrik connectors, to make a mic cable (my first). I put it together and it works well except with a certain mic. At first I thought it was the cable that was causing "flickering" but I test other mics and it only happened with this sm81, so I tried some other cables but it only made the flickering with that cable. I had no way of knowing what was causing it because i only heard it when that particular cables was paired with that particular mic.

I did some more testing recently and I was able to hear the flickering in another mic and also another cable, although it was quieter and much less persistent. I kept trying to get the sound (moving around the room and pointing it different directions) for a second time and was unable to get it to happen again. The new Canare cable with that specific sm81 on the other hand made the flickering almost constantly and much louder. My other cables are mogami btw.

I have tried two interfaces. same results with both. I tried coiling the new canare and placing it on the desk, and here I could not get it to make any noise. Could the fact that it was coiled on my desk have done something to prevent it from making the flickering noise? Also, I noticed that when I grabbed the cable close to the mic end of it that it would kill the noise when I was holding it, and come back when I let go. Nothing happened when i grabbed the mic, it had to be the cable

So I am left with no idea what is causing the flickering, only that with this new canare I made and this sm81 (i tried my other sm81 and it was as good as any other mic I tried), I am getting too much flickering noise to record with. Its fairly subtle to hear and I have to have the mic gain up.

Any ideas? I'm not sure what to do next, I also tried replacing the connectors with no change.

Back