First Microphone: Shure SM58 vs AKG C900

0isin

Hey guys, first post here.

I'm a long time fan of music, I'm 15 years old and I DJ, produce and play the piano. I want to get a mic for mostly recording, although if I could bring it along with me when I gig that would be great too.

So I have two offers, 1 Shure sm58 for 70$ without the cables, or an AKG C900 for 100$.

I'd like to record vocals, and a bit of guitar or piano.

So HR, which mic should I get? Thanks alot!

The AKG C900 has been discontinued - so you should pick one up at a good price.

I would say that that is the better option from what you say you want to do - but neither will do the job well. Both are vocal mics and are perfect for you gigging, biy not really recording.

The AKG, as it is a condenser, will stand the better chance, but you relly need different mics.

Look at the Sontronics range for inexpensive mics that are still good.

Their STC 1 should be good for guitar and piano and should be OK for voice as well as it includes a pad and bass roll-off. There is an explanation video on the link.

The STC 1 is a cardioid mic - but you can buy an omni and/ur hyper-cardioid head as well at a later date to make it more versatile. Also available as a matched pair.

I hope this helps.

Hey thanks man. I'm definitely thinking about getting the C900, but as you said, it's more of a live mic. I'm quite sure I would use this as a temporary mic for recording, but eventually, I'd get a good condenser.

In the mean time, you still think I thought get the C900?

EDIT:

Now, I'm going to connect this to my Numark M4 mixer, which only takes mics from the 1/4" jack, from there I would connect the mic or record out to my computer. Do you think that would work? Should I get an XLR to 1/4" or XLR to XLR then XLR to 1/4"?

Thanks alot, I know this all sounds confusing.

Back