First Mic Decision

dahayn

*#*#*#* NEWBIE WARNING *#*#*#*

Yup, I'm a noob and I'm looking for my first mic. I've been reading these boards for that past couple days and I've got a huge amount of info from all of you so I wanted to say thank you first of all. Ok, now that I'm done kissing everyone's keester, I'd like to know what you think. I'm debating between the MXL 960M, V69M, or should I save a hundred bucks and go with the V67G? I don't really want to pay more than $250 for my mic right now cause I'm on a pretty tight budget. I'll be recording my (male) vocals, acoustic guitar, and also maybe amped guitars with it. Sooner or later I'll prolly get a different mic for the guitar so this will mainly be for vocals. Right now I'm using a friend's SM58 that plugs directly into his cheap ass soundcard and I'm sooo not loving what I'm hearing. Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appriciated! If anyone wants to hear what my band sound's like....

www.internetdj.com/jackieswift

Thanks again to everyone!

Oh yeah, and if you guys/gals could suggest some mics for the guitars, I'd appriciate that too. I was looking at Shure 57's or MXL 990's. Again, with the tight budget so nothing over around $200 and do I really need a pair of them to make my recordings sound good? Thanks again... again.

I just purchased a V67 for $99 (my first large diaphram condenser as well). I'm very pleased with the sound for my voice (male, lower range). Compared to professional recordings I think the V67 is somewhat dark, which I like. If you don't mind that it doesn't have high frequency sparkle then I think it's pretty hard to beat for the price. The V67 isn't very good for guitar unless it's just adding body to another mic.

I bought a MXL603 small diaphram condenser ($99) for acoustic guitar. It mainly picks up the guitars higher frequencies, not enough body for my tastes so I wouldn't recommend it for your style of music.

Back