Fingerstyle Guitar Mics?

Vikki

Hi
I'm new around here and was trying to wade through the microphone jungle and come out with something that might work in my situation. I'm looking to record some solo Atkins finferstyle guitar amongst other things, i've tried recording off the internal pickups on my acoustic guitar, they are amongst the best i can find but they work o.k on stage but when it comes to recording it seems another matter. I was looking for a high quality mic that might suit this application, any ideas? I have a top notch dual channel valve preamp feeding a Calrec 1549 clone dual channel 4 band parametric. Do i need to push the boat out and spend big money or would something like the Octavia's or Marshall work ok. I notice Shure and Beyer mics dont get much of a mention around here is there anything ok in that range?
So many questions, so many mics.Help!
Vikki (uk)

i have a cd by william ellwood and he has a similar fingerpicking style.

in the credits it mentions the following configuration:

a stereo pair of AKG/P48 and a Schoeps CMU-5 with a #84 omni cartridge placed for natural ambience.
The master was recorded direct to digital with a sony pcm 1610 digital processor.
Guitar handbuilt by David Wren.

pleasant sound.. but at a price!

Vikki said:
Hi
I'm new around here and was trying to wade through the microphone jungle and come out with something that might work in my situation. I'm looking to record some solo Atkins finferstyle guitar amongst other things, i've tried recording off the internal pickups on my acoustic guitar, they are amongst the best i can find but they work o.k on stage but when it comes to recording it seems another matter. I was looking for a high quality mic that might suit this application, any ideas? I have a top notch dual channel valve preamp feeding a Calrec 1549 clone dual channel 4 band parametric. Do i need to push the boat out and spend big money or would something like the Octavia's or Marshall work ok. I notice Shure and Beyer mics dont get much of a mention around here is there anything ok in that range?
So many questions, so many mics.Help!
Vikki (uk)

I record only solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar, myself. I use nails and flesh, not picks. I've tried alot of mics for this. I've settled on three mics, a pair of small diaphragm condensers and one large diaphragm condenser. The mics I'm currently using are:

1) Small diaphragm: pair Schoeps CMC6/MK4.

2) Large diaphragm: Neumann M149, CAD VX2 or Microtech Gefell UMT800.

Although these mics work well for me, you need to check things out for yourself.

For small diaphragms, in the upper end, check out:

1) Schoeps CMC6/MK4 or CMC6/MK41;
2) Microtech Gefell M295 or M294;
3) DPA 4011;
4) Josephson Series 6.

In the mid-priced range, consider:

1) Microtech Gefell M300;
2) Earthworks;
3) Neumann KM184;
4) Josephson C42.

In the low price range, many like the following:

1) Studio Projects C4;
2) Marshall MXL603s;
3) Octava MC-012;
4) Rode NT5.

As far as large diaphragm mics go, there are just so many out there. I've heard many of them, but there are so many I have not heard. Again, quality rules. The Microtech Gefell mics are wonderful, as are ones made by the boutique builders (Soundelux, Brauner, Lawson, etc.). The Chinese imports are usually OK, with some standouts (ADK, Studio Projects) among the pack.

Identify your budget, as that will help narrow things down quite a bit. There is no "best" mic for recording fingerstyle acoustic guitar, nor is there a "best" method (i.e., # of mics, placement, etc.) or "best" signal chain (i.e., preamp, converters, DAW, etc.). Quality still rules though.

This thread has some very good comments about small diaphragm condenser mics and acoustic guitars:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=118136

It also has some recorded clips of some mics in action on a 1970s solid-top dreadnought. The guitar is probably a little bass-heavy for most recording or fingerstyle sounds.

I think the heavily modified Behringer ECM-8000 that Marik has built sounds as close to generally "best" for solo acoustic instruments as any mic that I've heard. It's really even and very detailed sounding, with no annoying frequency peaks:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=111051&perpage=25&pagenumber=9

I'm not sure, but I think an electronics tech could build one for you for less than $125 or so. If you are good with a soldering iron on tiny components and PCB's, you could do it yourself for much less.

I haven't heard the Studio Projects C4s, and they might be a good value.

Still you might consider spending more and getting more than the cheapest usable mics.

Thanks great info.
My dads an electronics engineer and builds me bits and pieces from time to time, thats where the Calrec clone came from. Any info on any mods or ideas greatly appreciated, i did see a mod somewhere to replace the electronics in one of the Marshall mics with a valve pre-amp and seperate power supply, can't find that info anymore (if you have a link please let me know) we have a box full of NOS mullard amp and pre-amp valves in the loft, so plenty of bits to go at. What capsule do you suggest?
Thanks
Vikki (uk)

Thanks
Gyraff audio, thats where we had the Calrec info and layout from.
Might have a go at a DIY.
Many Thanks
Vikki

Keep an open mind toward omni type mics for your acoustic work. I own a set of C4 that also has omni capsules. This dispenses with the bass boost from the proximity effect. You can mic very close without turning into mud.

The downside is the omni hears the rest of the room. Close micing is one way of increasing the music level by reducing the ambient noise level. Many of the experienced acoustic trackers here use two mics on the instrument.

Hi
I'm only going to be working using 2 channels as i'm not using a full blown mixer so i think 2 mics would be best although i did wonder about recording the inbuilt pickups on one channel and a mic on the other, i'm not sure how that would work out. I thought i had all the gear i needed but the mics are a whole thing to themselves. I'll only be recording in a home enviroment, although i live on a very quiet country lane a car does come past every now and then, i'll guess i'll have to make up some long leads and put the computer in another room due to the fan noise.
Thanks
Vikki(uk)

Back