Female Vocalist

CellarCat

Sometimes a girl I know comes over to jam with my band . She has a great sounding voice but is really quiet. I usually set her up with either a 57 or 58 . but even with her channel maxed on the P.A. she doesn't seem ot cut through. What i was wondering was if I should get a Condenser ( small diahragm) for her to sing through would this help . Or would it pick up too much other stuff and cause problems ie: feedback etc. I plan on buying a condenser or two when i get my recording setup soon anyway.. what do ya think????

It could work, but it would also pick up more background noise. If you are planning to by one anyway then it's worth a try.
omnipotent

A condenser mic will amplify the background noise. She needs to learn how to sing louder, or you could stick her in the closet away from the rest of the noise.

Guys, it's not going to be so hot that it's really going to cause uncontrolable feedback problems; I promise. Maybe if it is a studio mic.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet my Shure Beta 87 (superb for live vocals) has less feedback problems than some popular live vocal mics.

I agree that she needs to learn how to use her diaphragm strength though.

I really was not thinking about feedback, rather than her vocals are still going to be drowned out by the instruments. The instruments are going to go through the mic also. The instruments will get louder when you turn her mic up. If she cannot sing louder, then she needs to be somewhat isolated from the instruments.

thanks for all the thoughts guys... we don't really play that loud to begin with . and when she sings we do tend to play a bit softer yet... I was just curious about the condenser idea.. thanks again .

You should look into a mic made by EV designed for female vocalists. It is really nice for them. I went with a friend of mine to about 9 music stores and tried tons and tons of mics with her and the EV one was the best for a female live performance. I think it is around 150$. If you are looking for a mic that both sexes can use and the female won't be too bad, get a beta 87 or 58. Those were our second choices.

MIKE

Back