Favorite Dynamics?

Dolemite

Hey guys,

I just thought with 90% of the talk on this forum being devoted to large diaphragm condensers, maybe we're forgetting their less-sophisticated bretheren, dynamic mics. It also seems like most talk about dynamics tend to gravitate back to the SM57/SM58 as the lowest common denominator of decent mics. Not to bash the classics, but there are lots of other good dynamics out there and most are not nearly as well-known. So just to generate some discussion here, post your favorite (or least favorite) dynamic mics and what their good/bad for.

not my favorite but it's a good mic.One of my mics is a shure bg 3.1. young/new home recordists and performers who need a good mic but are short on cash should consider this. They are a much overlooked mic I think and can be had for cheap.I paid 30.00 with shipping on Ebay.They retailed for over 100.00

SM 57- Everything ;)

SM 58 - live vocals

Senheisser MD421 - toms, kick

Shure Beta 56 - toms, guitar cab

Harvey Gerst said:
Believe it or not, I'll be covering dynamic mics in detail when I do the next installment of the big thread.

"the BIG thread" Now there's an understatement.

Beta 56. toms--guitar--VOCAL (believe it or not) Very good multi-purpose mic for the $$$:D

I love the sleepers...

For instance, these Beyer Soundstars simply smoke a 421, and for a lot less $$$...I paid a hundred bucks for a pair of these...try finding 421s for that price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1238379804

Other not-so-well-known dynamics...

Beyer M422s: great on snares, toms...

Altec 600 series dynamics...the weird two-tiered 57-ish green thingies: great on amps, snare.

Altec/Western Electric salt shaker, the 633: bass cabs, kick.

EV RE15s/16s....shit, anything with an "EV RE" on it, the RE18...great on lots of things, especially amps. The RE16 sounds a whole lot like a U87, believe it or not. Not bad for 50-100 bucks...

Speaking of EVs, the RE55 is a very useful dynamic omni. Great on stand-up bass, kick, bu excels on Django-style acoustic guitar (it's got that "honk" in spades).

Shure SM53: percussion, some vocals, amps...

RCA BK6: A small lavilier mic that comes with a lanyard to wear around your neck, this mic rules on snare drums. Cute, too...

The AKG D2000 is a good all around mic, again for very little $$$.

There's tons more...

The cool thing about these dynamics is that the whole world isn't after them (yet!), so they can be had for not a lot of dough, and yet they sound as good as any boutiquey high-priced mic.

Priced an AKG D19 on ebay lately? Scheeech!

I have two Shure 545s that look and sound similar to 57s. I was told by a Shure rep that they have a little more mid range and a little less high end than the 57s. I bought them both at a swap meet for $10. They sell new for between $100-$150.

I also have a Universal Sound US664A supercordioid. It looks like a podium mic with an attitude. It's solid polished aluminum with a ribbon mic-like series of slots running down its spine. Does a fine job on vocals. Another swap meet $10 find. I bet it cost over $200 new.

I got a pair of Electro Voice RE11s for $250. i have used them for everything and i love them. i have used them as overheads (not the best but definitly gets a cool sound if you get creative), vocal, acoustic (both at the same time) and just as a random instrument microphone. i love these mics and never go to a session without them. they can really add a good vintage (not low fi) sound to your recording. i am not saying they are for everyone but i love them. i think one of the best recordings i have ever done was acoustic guitar and vocals at the same time using just one (maybe two) of these and the result was gorgeous and needed no EQ.

i also have an old unidyne sm57 that i love.
nobody has mentioned the incredible sennheiser md441

My fav dynamic that I own is the RE38n/d. In the kick.... on an amp..... on horns..... absolutely smokes.

If you want to "get into" the better SM57's and the 545 series, the older "made in USA"/"Unidyne III" are more consistant in quality vs. the newer Mexican ones.

Some of the other coolest ones-other than those mentioned so far are;

1) Beyer Soundstar MKII (the one that looks like a '58 & sounds like a SM7)
2) Shure 548-smoooth-it's a Unidyne...IV! (a tweaked III capsule by Shure)
3) EV 635a (my "go to" for doing any blues style R&B vocal recording)

IF you get a "good" EV 666 they sound a LOT like a RCA 77 ribbon going through a quality tube pre (got two 666's at home). One is set to a different
"ohm" though inside. They're thicker sounding than a RE20, its fraternal twin. You need a special cable connector for them too.

Chris

Harvey Gerst said:
Believe it or not, I'll be covering dynamic mics in detail when I do the next installment of the big thread.

You mean there's more!? :eek:

And, whilst I'm here I'd also like to give props to the Beyerdynamic Soundstar MK II (M400) and the Electro-Voice 635A. The former is smoother than butter, and the latter makes a great front of amp and percussion mic.

Believe it or not, I have an Audio Technica Pro-100. It's Low-Z, and super sensative. Warm tone for vocals, but too much mid range for acoustic guitar. I am just starting out, though, and I haven't bought anything yet. I've been scouring this forum, though, and I will be well armed when I do start purchasing mics. You guys really know your stuff!

Electro Voice N/D 308 on guitar amplifiers. Found one in the mic-kit at a local club I was mixing -- life saver. The diversity of dynamics makes them worth their weight in gold in studio sessions. In my opinion, the homogony of modern condenser mics, and their current popularity is sucking the life out of modern recordings.

Back