Faulty AKG414

rob aylestone

I've got trouble with one of my 414s. It's been in my switched off studio for 10 weeks while I was away. Very cold, not really damp - and now it makes random noise bursts - either short phuts, or longer periods of crackling. Definitely the mic proven by substitution.

I've had it in a hot boiler room for a few days, but no luck.

Anyone know the best place in the UK to send it? I could send it to AKG, but wondered if anyone knows any mic repair companies other than them?
R

I was going to suggest Ashley Styles but it looks like he's retired. I know of one other person who might be able to help but I'm not sure if he's still doing mic repairs. I'll ask and report back.

Stewart Tavener at xuadia.com might be worth contacting.
I know he advertises ribbon services but if he can't help he might at least know someone.

Last edited:
I think I would give a try to placing it in a plastic ziplock bag with some desiccant packs perhaps for a week. I had a mic that had seemed to had gotten some dampness into the capsule and/or the circuit board and like yourself I had placed it in a warm location which didn't help. The desiccant packs did restore the mic.
I had used these Premium Silica Gel Orange Indicating(Orange to Dark Green) Silica Gel Packets and there was a definite color change over the days they were in the bag with the mic.

Sounds like moisture on the capsule. Happens to my old Sonys from time to time. Leave the mic powered up for a few days to see if it bakes off. You can augment the process by placing the mic over a low watt incandescent light bulb. Between the power and low heat, it should clear up if it's moisture alone with no failed components.

Plastic bag, silica gel bags and back in the boiler cupboard for a cup of days has seemed to do the trick. I'll see if it lasts, and report back.

Back