Fake SM57?

My friend's SM57 is identical to the one in the OP - at least the words/branding. No line through the Z. I bought it from Long and McQuade which is the biggest chain in Canada. I paid $100 for it new. I'll check my old one which is set up in front of my amp. It's got to be 25+ years old.

Me too . . . I've bought my last couple from L&M (actually, 4 of the 5 I have were from L&M . . . one used from rentals, and three brand-new).

My friend's SM57 is identical to the one in the OP - at least the words/branding. No line through the Z. I bought it from Long and McQuade which is the biggest chain in Canada. I paid $100 for it new. I'll check my old one which is set up in front of my amp. It's got to be 25+ years old.

Brilliant. I'll be interested in what Shure say about the additional photos.

bump.
Mine weighs 320grms on my kitchen scales.

Dave.

I can't find the text file where I compiled all the info on the fakes, but I did find some links in my bookmarks.

IIRC, even the specs on the real SM57s changed slightly over time, so the counterfeiters had to keep up with the changes. Cosmetically, there were always a lot of clear giveaways, but I doubt many SM57 owners would open theirs up to the extent in one of the links below.

Regardless, I weighed the two I have with me here, and they were 283 and 291 grams, so we're both safe on that count. Most, if not all, of the fakes will be lighter . . . but you never know with those ripoff clowns. It's always possible they started weighting them down at one point.

FAKE SHURE SM57'S (including pics) - Gearslutz.com

FAKE SHURE SM57 MICROPHONE - YouTube

This is a counterfeit Shure SM57

I can't find the text file where I compiled all the info on the fakes, but I did find some links in my bookmarks.

IIRC, even the specs on the real SM57s changed slightly over time, so the counterfeiters had to keep up with the changes. Cosmetically, there were always a lot of clear giveaways, but I doubt many SM57 owners would open theirs up to the extent in one of the links below.

Regardless, I weighed the two I have with me here, and they were 283 and 291 grams, so we're both safe on that count. Most, if not all, of the fakes will be lighter . . . but you never know with those ripoff clowns. It's always possible they started weighting them down at one point.

FAKE SHURE SM57'S (including pics) - Gearslutz.com

FAKE SHURE SM57 MICROPHONE - YouTube

This is a counterfeit Shure SM57

I have photos at the dropbox link that show the capsule and wiring. If this is a fake it is an excellent fake as the capsule is metal not plastic.

I have a Shure SM87 that I bought for fun - so obviously had to be a knock off, I wondered what 9.99 would get me? A half decent condenser? It arrived and looked like the real thing - I picked it up and it was about half the weight of my real ones, I plugged it in and went one-two, and it sounded a bit dull. Then I noticed phantom power was OFF. Unscrewing the head, it's a dynamic! The same element design as the hooky 57s, and no rubber suspension at all - fixed in with epoxy by the look of it!

Back