External microphone for iPhone or iPad video recording?

imsharris

I am one of those guys that has to record everything that I play because my mind is getting old and I can barely remember breakfast! HAHAHA (Actually, I blame it on my 4 and 6 year olds!) I have recently started recording videos from my iPhone or iPad when I have a new idea because it helps me remember the chords, chord shapes and locations that I use. The internal microphone on the iPhone is "adequate" but I am hoping to find something that will give me a little better quality sound when I record video. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions for portable mics that I can use that will work when recording video at the same time?

I picked up a used M-Audio 'Producer' USB microphone a few months back (paid something like 18 quid I think) for the same task... Definitely an improvement on the iPads built in microphone (you'll need the Apple CCK/L2USB) but nowhere near as good as my traditionally cabled mics.

MXL do a USB mic that gets good reviews on Amazon and doesn't break the bank. If you don't mind paying more there a Rode 'NT' USB mic which is probably better...

I now use a Behringer UCA222 and take audio from my computers audio interface (via headphone output > 1/4" stereo jack to phono cable) for video... But mine are beatmaking videos so might not help you...

Back