Experimenting with low volume guitar amp recording- soliciting feedback (sound clips)

Deaj

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to recording as well. I recently found this forum in a Google search and have found the information posted here to be very helpful! I am putting together a portable recording rig that is compatible with my brother's Sonar/PC based home studio. I have a laptop with a 1.8GHz P4, 512MB RAM, and 40GB HD. The audio interface is a Lexicon Omega USB. Software platform is Sonar 3 Producer.

Most times I do not have the ability to play at performance volume at home and so I have been experimenting with low volume guitar amp recording - which brings me to the subject of this post. I had an opportunity to test four different mics for low volume recording last night and I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback.

I used the same guitar (PRS CE24 w/ Seth Lover PU's) through the same amp (Fuchs ODS 50 SLX 1x12 combo w/ Emi Wizard speaker) and the same settings (Guitar: bridge pickup at full volume & tone / Amp: jazz setting, deep switch and mid boost on, OD gain set to 3 o'clock, master low enough to not disturb sleeping family, all other controls at 12 o'clock).

I recorded about 1 minute each with four different microphones (AKG C1000-S small diaphragm condenser, CAD M39 large diaphragm condenser, CAD KBM-412 dynamic kick drum mic, & Shure SM57 dynamic instrument mic) each placed in exactly the same position (positioned just outside the edge of the dust cap, perpendicular to and right up against the grill cloth). I'll leave the file names generic and make this a blind taste test.

NOTE: I didn't tune my guitar before hand - hope it doesn't offend the ear. :)

If you have a moment please give a listen and post your thoughts.

CAD KBM-412 dynamic kick drum mic
AKG C1000-S small diaphragm condenser mic
CAD M39 (same as M179) large diaphragm condenser mic
Shure SM57 dynamic mic

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I think I like either #1 or #2 the best, it's hard to decide. Actually they all sound good.

Just for shits and giggles. I'm listening on small PC speakers at work so cut me some slack... - my guesses

#1-LDC
#2-SDC
#3-Kick drum mic
#4-57

Way off?

Ok.. here is my take:

1 - the kickdrum mic
2 - the C1000-S... I'de recognized the top end on that mic anywhere
3 - Gotta be the LDC - you can hear the bump in mid range
4 - SM 57... might not be over apparent in this clip... but the signature is definately there.

What do I win?

Chris

Don't know which is which but I likes #3 best. Has the upper-mid comin' thru the way you'd want (usually) on a lead guitar. They all sound reasonably good. 1 perhaps lacks the fullness of the others. 2 cuts through better than 1, doesn't it? But not necessarily in a desirable way. #4 would probably be my second choice, as it seems a little more balanced.

'Course this is on one quick listen on little computer speakers.

Im gonna second Metalhead's guess. The first 2 have the upper end of the condensors and the second of the 2 sounds like it has the most highs. #3 seems to me to have the most lows so i'd say kick mic. #4 seems to be a little low for a 57 but i guess thats all thats left.

I changed the links in the original post to reflect which mic was used.

So far my favorite is the not-so-popular AKG C1000-S. Very smooth, nice highs, sits well in the mix as is. The others seem useful as well though.

Any more feedback on which you prefer and why?

Oh wow, I never would have expected to hear that much high end from the kick drum mic..... :D
I probably agree with you on the choice of mic #2, I like the high end it has. Very cool experiment!

metalhead28 said:
Oh wow, I never would have expected to hear that much high end from the kick drum mic..... :D
I probably agree with you on the choice of mic #2, I like the high end it has. Very cool experiment!

Surprised me as well. I was expecting interesting but unuseable results but I'd track my guitar with it and be happy. Thanks for giving 'em a listen and for the feedback!

t0neg0d said:
Ok.. here is my take:

1 - the kickdrum mic
2 - the C1000-S... I'de recognized the top end on that mic anywhere
3 - Gotta be the LDC - you can hear the bump in mid range
4 - SM 57... might not be over apparent in this clip... but the signature is definately there.

What do I win?

Chris

How about an all expenses paid trip to the Kitsap peninsula on Saturday for a day of moving furniture and other household goods? :D

Back