1 Furman RP-8
1 BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer
1 Behringer GI-100 Direct Injection Box
1 Lexicon Omega
1 Behringer UB1202
1 Sony Vaio CPU

and i think thats about it, what eles should i get

ps. im only 15 so please go easy with prices

You'll want some monitors (speakers) to listen to your great mixes. Check the "Other Equipment" forum for plenty of recommendations.

Hey dude, i can relate to your situation, because im 16 and had alot of similar stuff in the past. First off, I would get some better Mic's. Nady is usually not the best, even though really cheap. If you record drums im assuming, maybe a few SM57's that would be good for guitar too. 990 isnt too bad on vocals, maybe an AT25 and some good preamps and outboard effects. Then maybe look into a bigger interface, some real good software and plugins, then your good to go. I dont see you mentioning it, but buy monitors. If you dont have any, thats really what u need first.

I think you are off to a great start, Nick. When I was 15 I bought my first Les Paul with the money I made mowing lawns. I wish I had gotten into to recording back then, but there wasn't anything beyond a Tascam 8 track.

Just learn as much as you can and practice the recording techniques espoused in this forum (and others). If you develop solid skills, your talent will take you much farther than any gear you can buy.

I second the decent monitors. Then start recording and get some experience under your belt.

I would suggest selling the BBE Sonic Maximizer and using the money for something else. Every once in a blue moon those things will have a use, but the vast majority of the time they will do nothing but harm to your tracks or (heaven forbid) your entire mix.

Yes definitely! Go for as streamlined an approach as you possibly can. Sell any guff and use it to save towards something you need. I would suggest monitors (cheap is ok to start with ... don't be bullied into outspending yourself) and then look at one decent mic. I'd be looking at one or more of the following: CAD M179, SP B1, SP C1, Sennheiser E845 (a worthy substitute for SM57/58 and IMO more versatile), SE SE2200A and the ADK A51. There's some good, versatile stuff amongst those and I don't think you can go far wrong with any of them. That one mic may end up doing vocals, acoustic guitars, guitar amps and more, so it's ok to really save up and splash out a bit.

Have fun mate, you got a couple of years head start on me so I expect to see you with a tonne of funky gear and instruments by the time you're my age!! :)

Depends how much you can swing. Those Wharfedales seem to be fine if you can afford them (I wasn't too impressed by them myself, but what do I know) but I think you could make a good start with a pair of the M-Audio 5" ones. They aren't the best but they have a bit of detail and you could add a sub later if that's how you wanted to upgrade.

Not many people will agree with me, but unless your ears have done a lot of training at a young age, you won't really hear much difference. I'm trying to buy into the Big Bad 40-something Grizzly Blue Bear's theory that your ears will tell you when it's time to upgrade. Of course, it's only true if you go out regularly and listen to more expensive gear, which can encourage bad Gear Acquisition Syndrome habits!! :)

EDIT - The M-Audios are the new versions of the BX5s ... look for them in this thread on page four: http://www.recordingproject.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=150080#150080

I've been using the Yorkville YSM-1's so long, even though I can afford better I'm so comfortable mixing on them, I see no need to change.

i disagree about monitors....with the caliber of gear you have, anything more than a less than $99 home stereo for monitoring is too much.....

at 15, unless you are doing SERIOUS demo work, i wouldnt recommend monitors......

what instruments are you recording? vocals? what style?........what type of space do you have to record/mix?......

i'm positive that im gonna get some monitors i need them my mixes always sound good on the speakers i use but then if i burn them on to a cd and listen to them on better speakers they don't sound good at all so i want some decent monitors

How expensive are the Alesis or Wharfedale ones in $$? The Behringers are ok but if you can get better for similar money then I'd recommend it!!

Back