Equation Audio F-20 vs Neumann TLM102

pcstudios

I own an Equation Audio F-20 large diaphragm condenser and a TLM102 large diaphragm condenser. I run the signal either through my Golden Age Pre73jr into the Steinberg UR44 audio interface, or go straight into the interface preamps without the Golden Age pre in line.

This is a comparison of using the two mics and the Golden Age preamp.

In each sample, I say "Check one two three" four times.

The first sample mp3 compares the F-20 in the interface pre with the TLM102 in the Golden Age pre. First "check one two three" is the F-20 Steinberg pre, second is the TLM102 Golden Age pre (gain at 65), third is the F-20 Steinberg pre, and fourth is the TLM102 Golden Age pre.

The second sample mp3 compares the TLM102 the same way in the same sequence.

The third sample mp3 is comparing the F-20 using the Steinberg interface preamp vs the Golden Age preamp. The first "check one two three" is Steinberg pre, the second is the Golden Age pre, the third is back to the Steinberg pre, and finally the fourth is again the Golden Age pre.

I decided that the F-20 sounds better in the Steinberg pre, and the TLM102 sounds better with the Golden Age pre. Overall, I prefer the sound of the TLM102 over the F-20 (for male voice).

View attachment F20 Steinberg pre, TLM102 Golden Age pre.mp3
View attachment F20, Steinberg pre, Golden Age pre.mp3
View attachment TLM102, Steinberg pre, Golden Age pre.mp3

Back