Which ENG Mic for my Tascam DR40?

thercman

So I have spent weeks trying to find a mic to use with my recorder. After deciding on the EV RE50b as the one to use (industry standard) I found a comprehensive review on the Tascam DR40 that showed low output mic's such as the RE50 and the 623a do not work well with it. I tried to do some more searching and was getting frustrated with the lack of info and reviews. So I headed to the local music shop looking for a vocal mic that may fill the roll. I tried the Shure SM86. Seemed to sound pretty good in the store so I brought it home and started making small voice over recordings. Wow! The Tascam needed to have the input volume cranked to full in order for the recordings to have a almost usable level. (yes fantom power was on) So I tried it through my Focusrite 2i2. The gain needed to be turned up to 75% just to get the mic to be recorded. (yes fantom was on) So I just took that back. So I definitely need a "high output" mic and this just substantiated the review. I figured a condenser would have enough output, wrong... I am lost at this point. I am considering the EV RE50N/D-B. It is the same great mic only with high output supposedly. Unfortunately I am having to buy it then test it. I just don't want to have to send things back in the mail if I order online etc. This is turning into a process..... Anyone have any mic recommendations? HELP!

Last edited:
You could use any microphone you choose to if you have a cloud lifter in line. ;)

LQQK HERE

Check around for the best possible price. This device will add 20db before your micpre. It's for ribbon microphones but works on any microphone.

Instead of being severely limited in terms of mics, is there any chance you could be persuaded to change the DR40 which appears to be the culprit here? I've never measured the mic input but I've never had any sensitivity problems with a Zoom H4N and know a good many sound designers who use the same model.

You've got 2 perfectly good solutions there. The problem is- the preamp in your recorder has no balls. The solution is not to reject perfectly good mics. Either get a recorder that works, or as Moresound suggested, use a cloudlifter. Either solution will work. I'm also, BTW, a fan of H4N.

The cloud lifter looks like a great product. I read some reviews on it they all are a big thumbs up. However that is another $250 on top of the price of a recorder. I might as well buy a portable multi channel at that rate. I did look at the H4N quite a bit. I know it has been a standard but it is also starting to become outdated. I was looking at the Tascam DR100MKii but worried I'll have the same issues with it. Anyway, Guitar Center said that I have 30 days to return the DR40 and I am at about day 20 now. I'll probably take it back tomorrow or Sunday.

Thanks moresound! I am on my way there now to return the DR40 and order the DR100MKii... It has different preamps in it and also as a switch for input gain levels. Shouldn't have a problem with that one... :-) However the extra cash spent on that means I need to wait on the mic. Booo!

I would have gone for the Zoom...an excellent bit of kit adopted by a lot of professionals.

I thought about it, but it is old and lacks a lot of feature the Tascam has. For example it has true line in, duel battery power (one is a lithium ion rechargeable), a nice wheel on the side for adjusting input volume, and a line out. Another feature is it has omni misc's built in. Since this is going to be used for interviews and not recording music this could come in handy. It also came with a remote, windscreen and case. It does lack multi-channel recording though. It has a l-m-h setting for input gain which is nice for matching with different mic's... I guess it just depends on personal use which would be better...

Back