Elmo Microphone

ringfeder

Has anyone heard of Elmo microphones? I was thinking about buying a second hand one cheap for recording acoustic guitar. I've just started recording my acoustic with a cheap/bad mic I found laying around. I can't afford to spend too much so I looked through the local buy/swap and found this below and was hoping someone had heard of them or maybe knows the style. I would be plugging into a little Presonus 96 interface. I do have a Sampson USB mic but it sounds bad when you turn it up and I want to utilise the interfaces drivers.

edit: I can't post links yet apparently. If you have the time the google search "gumtree elmo condenser microphone" brings it to the top ($50neg)

Elmo is quite well known in professional boardroom audio. They make the "Throwie", a mic that's used as spot mic for speech. You can literally throw it around, as it cushioned into a cube. Obviously, it"s a wireless mic.

They're good quality mics, but depending on the model, can be tailored to speech. So it depends what you want to use it for and price.

There's no website, as they don't sell these mics without some system attached to it. And that system usually runs in the tens of thousands and isn't sold under the brand "Elmo".

EDIT

That one on Gumtree, is an Elmo EC101 too. A very simple mic that came with an Elmo super 8 movie projector. Nothing to do with the current brand. Not worth 50$, even AU$. And vintage, yes, but not in a good way...

Buy a Chinese LDC? There's an excellent buy from a German site for 34,95 €. Unfortunately, they do not ship outside of Europe.

Last edited:
Thanks Cyrano, I ended up contacting the local music store and telling them want I wanted and asked them if they have something that is overstocked or really good for the price and ended up buying a DP STAGE DPC-400 for $45 which they tell me is an unbadged version of the Focusrite mic that comes in their starter kit. I was really disappointed when I plugged it in and couldn't get any volume out of it without hiss until I realised that I had it backwards and the little upside down love heart should've been facing me. It's perfect for me for learning to record and mix.

Cheers, mate!

Looks like what's sold over here under the "Fame" brand. And probably a couple of other brands too. Very useful. You'll be happy with it!

And, yeah, we all have learning moments. Like addressing the front :D

Back