Electro Voice Vs Shure

free_d20

I made a comparisson at a music shop of the shure sm57 with the Electro voice CO4, and I have to say that I was amazed at the superiority of the CO4 not only in performance, but it was also less than half the prize. I had never heard of this brand and myself being an owner of various Shure mics wouldn't even dream that anything would ever match the sm57 in the quality-prize category. I WAS WRONG. Well after being amazed by this mic I tried out the rest of the Cobalt series and I have to say they were just great vocal mics. The Co7 is the best mic i believe you can get for under 50 bucks!!!

well if anybody else has experimented with this mics i'd like to hear their opinion, and if you think i'm just delirious and blabbing, go to your music store and make the test. by the way i have my SHARE OF SHURE (sounds like a slogan) and love them, but maybe there is something better out there.

i think the Ev-635a

is great for distorted guitar tones. Beats out the tried and true 57 everytime i put them up against one another. And its almost always cheaper used.

As always, depends on the singer.
I like my voice better on a SM57 (with a high end pre) better than a Neumann U87ai, but that's a minority percentage on that one.

The other factor is how well a microphone will "take" EQ.
The SM57 has a long track record for doing that well.
Next time you try a SM57, a good starting point for the male voice
is to cut about 2 dB somewhere between 800 and 1000 Hz,
setting the "Q" to 2.8 (.5 octave) on a parametric EQ.
That tends to clean things up quite a bit.
There are some other "tricks" I've learned if you're curious.

Had a EV C09, and it's a good vocal microphone for most singers,
but it's "bright" so it wasn't the best choice for me.

The EV 635a is an excellent vocal microphone also, with fine
clarity and a mellow "top". Great choice for someone with
little or no experience working a microphone as it's omni BTW.

Chris

along with beyer mics, i consider EVs to be a pretty solid line. i am particularly fond of the 408/308/468 series. very in your face midrange....

havent owned one that was downright "bad" yet. and if you are trying to save a buck or two, they can be great.

That is all my band uses for live vocals. The ev's just seem to work better on our 2 male vocalist. Now, for instrumentation, I would stick to the 57.

I like the Neodyniunm line for live sound a lot better than Shure but they are more expensive than what you're describing. I'm not really familiar with the cobalt line

Back