Electret Snobbery

bgavin

I seem to be infected with some sort of negative bias (no pun) regarding electret type condensor mics. This leads to the gut feeling that electrets are lesser quality than the externally polarized types.

Then... I looked at all the Shure condensors, including the SM81 series, and they are all electret types.

Anybody?

Absolutely. And they sell for a premium price. None of which I am questioning.

I'm just curious about electret types. It seems the electret design was always used by "budget" class mics (read: Radio Shack). The SM81 is not in the class.

<I seem to be infected with some sort of negative bias (no pun) regarding electret type condensor mics. This leads to the gut feeling that electrets are lesser quality than the externally polarized types.>

There are two types of electret technology: electret on diaphragm and electret on back plate (back-electret). With the first--yes, the the quality is usually lower because of weight of electret material, and also it is very hard to get a proper stretch of the diaphragm with electret intact. With the second--the quality as of true condenser, or potentially better.

Back