e609Silver vs e906 vs 421 II vs SM57 electric guitar suggestions

stratmaster713

e609Silver vs e906 vs 421 II vs SM57 for distorted electric guitar cabs, which one or combination of which ones? [I currently have the e609silver and SM57]

I purchased an e609Silver and it sounds pretty good with a SM57 to my ears, but people claim there is a huge difference between the e609Silver and e906.. and now I'm second guessing myself and almost want to sell the e609 and purchase an e906..?

Can anyone tell me for sure if the e609Silver and e906 have the same guts, just the 906 has the variable 5kHz bump?
To complicate the matter further, there are e609 Black microphones that supposedly dont have the 5kHz bump? Are these more sought after?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.. I'm basically confused on if I should sell the e609 or keep it for the long run regardless if I buy a e906 or 421 II

What Mic combination should I purchase?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I decided I'll stick with the e609Silver and SM57. Just purchased a Sennheiser 421, so I will mess with the different combinations and see what works out best.

I decided I'll stick with the e609Silver and SM57. Just purchased a Sennheiser 421, so I will mess with the different combinations and see what works out best.

What you did try a LDC?

Or even better a cheap $80. MXL ribbon microphone will work wounders.

What you did try a LDC?

Or even better a cheap $80. MXL ribbon microphone will work wounders.

No I havent tried any LDC or ribbons. My room is horrible, (being in a college apt is pretty limiting obviously) so I figured LDC wouldnt work as well in my case. Dynamic mics can be right up next to the source and not have the room affect it very much..

I'll buy a LCD sometime next year, the sm57 MD421 II and e609 are good enough for me for now for what I record..

Planning on using the MD421 II as vocal mic also in recordings. We will see how it works out!

Try a ribbon mic.
The Cascade Fat Head is a pretty inexpensive ribbon, but is quite good for guitar cabs.

Back