Dynamic omni mic uses

elbandito

potential lunch winner
I tried an RE635 on snare/hats and it turned out surprisingly well. I'd like to try a pair on some horns... What have you used dynamic omni mics on?

Facing straight up (about 3 feet off the floor and about 2 feet from the bass YMMV) in front of an acoustic bass - best recording of a bass ever!!!!

When I first started in TV at a small town Canadian station, pretty much the only mics we had in the studio were a few EV635s and some Shure SM61s (and the old "hang on a string around the neck" lavs) so these got used for everything from interviews to visiting musicians plugging their shows.

Not my favourite mics for anything but I've done some decent music on them, including vocals, acoustic guitars, electric bass, harmonica, etc etc.

I recently aquired a pair of very nice Sennheiser MD211 omni dynamics. I have been trying them out on everything, with very nice results. They have a wider frequency response than most, 30hz-20Khz. So far I am liking them on acoustic guitar, drums and even vocals.

They give a nice balanced drum sound using a pair directly in front on the kit, with an absorbing baffle between them. (sort of a modified Jecklin disc concept)

Try 'em on anything. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I've been using a little Naiant X-S slung over the front of a guitar cab, just off centre. Sounds good to my ears.

Paul

@moresound:

I have a few Naiants: 2 x X-S, a matched pair of X-M and a matched pair of X-W. I like the omni's because of their generally more natural sound. I like Naiant because the prices are very amateur-friendly, the products are well designed and made, the sound is good, and Jon is an all-round decent bloke to deal with. I got matched pairs because I am gearing up for spaced-pair stereo recordings of acoustic instrument and vocal ensembles. The new Naiant modular offerings look interesting...

Paul

"Can you post a clip of a recording done with the x-s please"

Right now, unfortunately, no. I've been using the mic in small sound reinforcement situation, but haven't yet done any tracking with it.

The mic is _really_ inexpensive, though. $39 (includes cable) + postage. You can also purchase some natty little accessory holders.

It's not a mic you would use if you wanted to colour the sound.

I'm going to experiment by hooking it up on my son's cello. Being omni, they don't suffer from proximity effect, so you can get close.

Paul

cant wait for my x-s to ship now and you guys are not helping grrrr i want to play with it (stomps his feet a grits his teeth)

Back