Is a dynamic mic better for me?

Amr Makki

Hello everybody!
I have been using my condenser microphone for a while for reocrding vocal *I record classical guitar rhythm with pickup and then record vocal separately on scarlet solo set using a popfilter, but my voice recording is very dull, I am recording in a usual room not treated acoustically, the question is "should I try to use a dynamic mic instead, or making gain low on my condenser is a enough to solve this problem?
Thnak in advance.

If the condenser is dull, a dynamic will be worse. Probably best to let us have a sample of your recordings 20-30 secs on Soundcloud or something. If you are close enough in to need the pop filter, the room sound is probably not contributing very much. Turning the gain down will make it quieter? We can tell quickly from a listen what the problem is.

Thank you very much, I can send a sample to a WhatsApp number if you can share it with me, now I do not have a sample on me but I will send it in the evening (now 11.06 AM), I read an article that dynamic mic may be a better choice for poorly desgned room, for harsh and dull voice as well as for noise.

I think you may have misunderstood the article. A duller microphone can help a high, hissy, harsh voice, but so can turning the HF control down in the EQ section. Most vocal issues are down to how a mic is used, rather than exactly what it is! Soundcloud or file sharing is the usual way to do it so many people can listen - but if you send it to me (I'll PM the details) I can put a link up for you here.

Do you mean that a dynamic mic will not be better for a vocal in a poor envirenment? I do not like my voice and feel that it is full of faults, and thaught that it is because the condenser mic catch every detail, not only noise but may be unwanted details, because I am not proffesional singer, and the room is a very usual room, I record as a songwriter for demos.

What condenser microphone are you using?

Switching to a dynamic will generally make it even "duller"...

I use Scarlet CM25. Please have a look on the article I read.
3 Reasons to Use a Dynamic Mic on Vocals | Home Studio Corner
Thank you.

Because dynamic mics are less sensitive than condensers, you can record the vocalist without all the extra noise. This reason alone should be enough to convince you to try it.
Sorry, but (he?) missed the main things re 'picking up less' of the unwanted crud around you.
-The distance to the capsule-
-The relative volume of you at the mic- and the loudness of the 'noise around you. (And absorbing panels around you and the mic attenuates the room noise at the mic.
-Mic pattern

-Dynamic vs condenser..? We can site any number of examples where either type can overlap ..or go in either direction.
Part of the issue is also sounding 'good ..or getting the sound you want right up on the capsule.
Which is why attenuating the room effect is good as it opens up your- available mic distances, and mic choices.

Oh. and 'dull' -with most mics can mean 'too much lows from being too close (proximity effect!), trying to pick up less room!
Try starting with four or five 2" fiber panels around you and the mic.

Last edited:
I use Scarlet CM25. Please have a look on the article I read.
3 Reasons to Use a Dynamic Mic on Vocals | Home Studio Corner
Thank you.

While there's certainly some truth in that article, it all depends on the voice, the room and that particular microphone...

Dynamic mics have definitely advantages, like not needing phantom power and generally having no higher end bump. But I've just acquired an vintage dynamic lavalier and that particular one has a very serious bump around 5 kHz.

Dynamics do have disadvantages too. Like a lower output, compared to condenser mics. They will need a better preamp, or you'll get hiss. The lavalier mentioned, has just 1,1 mV of output. It needs more than 60 dB gain from the preamp. Most preamps don't do that, as they are conceived for modern condensers, outputting 10-20 mV.

I don't know the Scarlet CN25, but it should be fine, imho. You need to learn how to use it. Questions arise:

- how far are you from the mic?
- how noisy and reflective is your room?

Finding a mic that goes well with your voice is kinda hard. Nobody likes their own voice when it is recorded. Maybe you should get a second opinion? Maybe you could record some samples and post them somewhere so wel could all have a listen?

But, most importantly, don't give up. Experience doesn't come in a day or two...

Back