drum overheads

FBstdminime

Which pair of mics would be best for me to use in the $200-300 range? I'm trying to decide whether I should usea pair of nt3's, octava MC012's (from guitar satan cuz of my budget) or MK219 (large diaphragm). Any guidance or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

MK219's

Would it sound ok to use MK219's - guitar satan has them on sale for $100 each and I really need to buy a kick drum mic too, so i can't spend a lot for the overheads.

Eric

P.S. - I already have an NT3 but i was hoping to use it for guitar micing (i love the way it sounds). Maybe I should just buy another NT3 today and buy another one for guitar another time. AAAH! Somebody please tell me what I should do!!!

Well, you've got a lot of options. A pair of NT-3's would be good for overheads, consider buying another, maybe getting a 57 for the guitar cab. You can still use the NT-3 on guitar for overdubbs.

I haven't heard the 219. For $99 you could get one and try it out. Maybe you'll like that on guitar cabs better than the NT-3, or maybe you'll like it better for overheads, then go back and get another one. Be sure to listen to all the 219's and pick the best two. Just go with your ears.

As far as kick, AMS (www.americanmusical.com) has ATM25's for $139! This mic is usually $170. The ATM25 is incredible, I have that and a Beta 52. The ATM25 wins hands down for that punchy kick drum sound. The Beta 52 is good too, captures a lot of low end. The 52 is amazing between my drummers 18" floor tom and his 22" gong bass drum. The way that mic captures the resonance on the 22" drum is awsome!

It seems like you could complete your setup for roughly $300. It nevers ends though...

-jhe

Actually, I ended up buying another shure BG4.1 (I already had one and I forgot about using 2 as overheads because I was using it for hi-hat). I'm going to use the nt3 for guitar and I'll look into the ATM25. Btw, I already have 4 sm57's - I just think the nt3 sounds better.

Eric

P.S. - Where do you place your ATM25 in the drum?

I've only had it for a few weeks so I haven't experimented too much. With the B-52, I got the best sound with it just inside the hole on the front head. With the ATM we had it further in, about 8 inches from the beater head, and further to one side, pointing just slightly off axis to where the beater strikes. It was a huge 24" kick, lots of room to experment in there, but it was just a quick session. A lot of times with the kick, I just like to lay in in there on a pillow or something.

-jhe

Back