Drum mics

songsj

Can anyone tell me if the Shure Beta 56a is better than the SM57 mic for toms and snare.

Also is the kick drum mic that comes in the 4 mic pack with the 3 SM 57's that good and is
it worth the price. I think the kit no is DMK 57-52 or something. Also are the mic holders that come in this kit any good?

Thanks

Pony up a bit more cash for the Audix D-Series... you might be a whole lot happier than with the Shure.

I was picked up last night by a new band, and their kit is entirely mic'ed with Audix D-series: D1, D2, D4, and an AKG D112 on the kick. They have a lot of punch and are more "crisp" than the Shure, with higher frequency response.

I have too many SM57 now, and will off a few to replace them with D-series.

A couple years ago, I tried the Shure 56 as a tom mic for a few months... Got rid of it as I liked my 57s better.

Hey, I've heard so many good things about the Audix D Series for tom... But I've never tried them though... Maybe one day.

My 57s are fine most of the time. Only the very rare occasions when I'm miking-up a badass drummer (one who has control) do I wish I had something else for toms... A large-diaphragm condenser for something completely different.

One day soon, I'm gonna give the Studio Projects B1 and B3 a try strictly for toms, to see what happens. If they work well enough, I'll buy a total of 4 for toms... As they're cheap enough!

Losing some 57's?

bgavin-

If you're going to sell off some 57's, let me know. I need to get a couple more... :)

Contact me offline. I'd much prefer to sell them to a fellow board member than fart around with eBay.

I'm a PayPal premier account holder, so you can pay with credit card. (I eat the PayPal charges).

I bought (8) new ones, and have too many. All come in the factory boxes with eye candy, pouch, warranty card, etc. Three of them have never been used.

I will sell up to four of them, $70 each plus actual shipping.

Back