Drum microphone choices for overheads

Damir Vukelić

Hi, new guy on the forum (and a drummer).
My current equipment is: Sonor SQ1 drumset, birch, with following microphones:
- Audix d4 and d2s for toms
- Earthworks dm20 and Audix i5 for snare
- Audix d6 for kick
- Audix adx51s for overheads.

Now, I do not have a dedicated hihat mic and I wanted to find a pair of another set of overheads so I could maybe combine my current overheads with the new pair. Basically to test which pair I prefer and use the leftover for the hihat.
My budget can be stretched to $1000-1300 for a pair, but if possible I would not like to spend that much. The only reason I am considering going well over $700 is the Earthworks DK3 mic set.

The DK3 is kind of tempting for me as the overheads in this pack seem to be with a different character than my Adx51s, and plus with individual pricing involved the DK3 is almost as if you get a free kick mic.

In any case, if you were me and wanted to try a new pair of overheads, what would it be? I had my eye on Shures, KSM 137, but the more I read about them, the more they seem the same as my adxes and that would be my last resort - to get just another pair of overheads that works the same as the ones I already have.
No, I did not consider Shure sm81, as everything that mic is used for I either do not like, or I simply need a mic that is more dedicated for live situations than it is for studio recording. Not that I don't record, but the sm81 is not something that would suit me in the long run.
So, please share your thoughts and suggestions.

PS
The main genre of music I play would be, let's say, hard rock (not hitting the drums softly).

It's unclear whether this is purely for home recording (small space?), studio, or live use, or "all of the above."

The specs for the ADX51 show it has a very pronounced high end. If your main purpose for those is to capture that (e.g. cymbals), then I'd just stick with them, and as you ask in another post, just get something for the hi-hat (SM57, another i5, maybe).

If you want something to capture the full kit, or even a bit of room, then there's probably better choices, though some might not be "roadworthy" if that's what you need, as well.

Yes, I need mics for live use as well. As a matter of fact, it is like I am using them for live applications all the time; the rehearsals for my band are always done using iems/headphones, so my drums are always miked. Then again, I also use them for occasional recordings as well.
In the end, there had been certain projects I did that ended up needing a hihat mic.
And yes, the adxes seem to be better for situations where picking up cymbals only, is their purpose. I'm currently using them without lowcut pad they have, but they still feel as if they are picking up cymbals mainly.
The initial idea I had was to switch to KSM 137s, and use one of the adxes on the hihat. But I am not so sure about that anymore.

I'm not a drummer or band recording guy in general - done it a few times - only had a chance to mix full kits with overheads a few times (but about 12 hours of recording). I always felt the SDC overheads were basically adding only a bit of cymbal shimmer, and trying to get anything else out of them, i.e., where you've got mics on everything, wasn't adding as much as it took away. So, spending more, or even a lot more, money on something where it's *not* going to be a "room" mic seems like a waste. Just an opinion....

If you want a better mic on the hi-hat, your current overheads just seem wrong to me. I'd want a flatter response curve. One of my favorite mics is an old AT4051a that I got for a song when a band was breaking up. It had lived its life covering snare and/or hi-hat (and has the marks to prove it). It's a wonderful mic. I'd look at the current incarnation, AT4051b, if you want a small condenser in there. (I used my 4051a a couple times when I did 3-mic/GJ recordings. Also works well on strings and acoustic guitar!)

My favourite overhead mic is not a condenser at all, but a single or pair of Beyer 201's. They're hypers and for a dynamic, go up pretty high. I just like the sound.

Back