Drum mic kit for under $200?

Meatballx

So Im on a rather tight budget, and I really wanna start tracking drums and have them sound reasonably good. Ive been looking around for a couple hours and havent found many.

So far I have found:

Samson 5kit

Would I be better off mixing and matching mics like the the SM57 instead of purchasing an entire kit?

Well, I started off with this one.... CAD PRO-7 7-Piece Drum Microphone Pack: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

It's pretty good for the price. However, you might just be better off mixing and matching some real low-price, good-quality mics just as the sm57 on snare, a AKG D112 or Audix D6 on the kick, and then just a solid pair of SDCs for overheads. Although those will bring good quality, they'll also exceed your budget.

Like I said though, the CAD set isn't too bad. I'd recommend subbing an sm57 on the snare though and then replacing the kick mic (which makes a nice floor tom mic, oddly enough) with something better....the AKG, Audix, or maybe an electro-voice re20 or re320!

Good luck :)

You can get good results with as little as 3 mics (kick, snare, one overhead = mono), you can get ok results without a snare mic. You will not get ok results with a Samson kit.

Buy a good kick mic and an SM57. Use the SM57 as overhead until you can buy a condenser, then shift the SM57 to snare.

Buying second hand will save you a lot of money. You can find all kinds of info on great mics that go cheap second hand.

Well, I started off with this one.... CAD PRO-7 7-Piece Drum Microphone Pack: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

It's pretty good for the price. However, you might just be better off mixing and matching some real low-price, good-quality mics just as the sm57 on snare, a AKG D112 or Audix D6 on the kick, and then just a solid pair of SDCs for overheads. Although those will bring good quality, they'll also exceed your budget.

Like I said though, the CAD set isn't too bad. I'd recommend subbing an sm57 on the snare though and then replacing the kick mic (which makes a nice floor tom mic, oddly enough) with something better....the AKG, Audix, or maybe an electro-voice re20 or re320!

Good luck :)

Go for used microphones to keep the cost down. ;)

You can get good results with as little as 3 mics (kick, snare, one overhead = mono), you can get ok results without a snare mic. You will not get ok results with a Samson kit.

Buy a good kick mic and an SM57. Use the SM57 as overhead until you can buy a condenser, then shift the SM57 to snare.

Buying second hand will save you a lot of money. You can find all kinds of info on great mics that go cheap second hand.

Great minds think alike! :D

I checked out the CAD set and it seems like a good solid starter kit, especially at a price of 149.99. With the drum set were using, I was thinking of using Drumagog to replace the kick with samples, since the kick our drummer has sounds like...well....ass. :P Doing that, would the CAD set, an SM57, and an AT2020 for vocals be a good starter setup to run through a Tascasm US-1641? I could always upgrade to a better kick mic later when the need arises.

Thanks for the help guys, yall are awesome :)

I checked out the CAD set and it seems like a good solid starter kit, especially at a price of 149.99. With the drum set were using, I was thinking of using Drumagog to replace the kick with samples, since the kick our drummer has sounds like...well....ass. :P Doing that, would the CAD set, an SM57, and an AT2020 for vocals be a good starter setup to run through a Tascasm US-1641? I could always upgrade to a better kick mic later when the need arises.

Thanks for the help guys, yall are awesome :)

Please forget about the CAD set, you'll be throwing that in the garbage next year, $150 worth of garbage is not cheap at all.

If you have a AT2020, make it double as an overhead mic, buy a SM57 for snare and if you want to sample the kick, that'll work, buy a used drum trigger (or make one, costs about $10).

The rest of your budget; put it away. Save up. Be inventive with your money and invest in good stuff. You will not regret it. Our hobby is expensive enough as it is.

If it must be a kit, I suspect that the best starter kit out there under $200 is the EV DK-4 or DK-4-Plus (available for under $200 if you search the web).

Paj
8^)

Back