Dropped Mic

Sonic Idiot

I recall the event in slow motion...the mic stand slowly started to lean forward, entering a point of no return.

"Noooooooo...," I moaned as I leaped forward.

I was too late. The mic met the ground with a thud. The mic stand was set low, only about two and a half feet off the ground. A pop filter kinda sorta broke the fall a tad, but not really...

The mic still works, the sound quailty seems to be the same, but I've got the aching feeling only a studio dork like me can't shake...yesterday, before the fall, it was a tiny bit better sounding than today.

Somebody make me feel better...can a capsule withstand a knock of this magnitude unscathed, in theory? Or are all knocks inevitably damaging to some degree?

*cry*

Incidently, the TB1 is a great vocal mic. I prefer it, on my voice anyways, to my Neumann TLM 103.

Sonic Idiot said:
I recall the event in slow motion...the mic stand slowly started to lean forward, entering a point of no return.

"Noooooooo...," I moaned as I leaped forward.

I was too late. The mic met the ground with a thud. The mic stand was set low, only about two and a half feet off the ground. A pop filter kinda sorta broke the fall a tad, but not really...

The mic still works, the sound quailty seems to be the same, but I've got the aching feeling only a studio dork like me can't shake...yesterday, before the fall, it was a tiny bit better sounding than today.

Somebody make me feel better...can a capsule withstand a knock of this magnitude unscathed, in theory? Or are all knocks inevitably damaging to some degree?

*cry*

Incidently, the TB1 is a great vocal mic. I prefer it, on my voice anyways, to my Neumann TLM 103.
What a bummer... I'm sorry to hear that happened :( ... but maybe it's a sign from above telling you it's time to invest in better mic stands. ;)

Anyway... you can bet is wasn't good for the mic and if it sounds different now something happened to it. What I would do if the mic was mine is... either sell it, or send it to PMI-AG for repairs.

This just happened to me and my Rode NTK (which is noisy still, I'm assuming from an out of balance cable from the powersupply). The whole head of the mic came off but the interior seems to be ok...my heart however, is broken. I haven't been able to do a reliable test since the cable just picks up way too much radio signal, but I did reshape the metal and duct tape it back on. I hope looks aren't everything. I am saddened and ashamed that this happened at all. :( But rest assured my friend, you are not alone.

But...but...but, seriously? Are modern mics THAT sensitive? I can't believe there is a mic in the world that has been in use for a good while that hasn't taken a punch or two. I bet a number of famous recordings were made-either unwitingly or on purpose--with mics that fell off the tour bus.

Again, is it possible that a mic can take a knock and be just fine? Please tell me it is so...

(assumes fetal position in corner)

Sonic Idiot said:
But...but...but, seriously? Are modern mics THAT sensitive?

Yes. The diaphrams in condensors are delicate metallic foils, very thin. DO NOT TOUCH. Imperceptible shifts will affect the sound. I read somewhere that the deflection in an LDC from sound would be like 4" if the diaphragm were the same diameter as the earth.

With a TB1, you could be right! Although, I'll say it again, I do like it...did like it anyways...She smells like used goods now...blech!

Sonic Idiot said:
Again, is it possible that a mic can take a knock and be just fine? Please tell me it is so...
Of course it is, and it's probably fine. Just go ahead and use it, and if it sounds good, it is good.

Of course, now you have that psychological earwig crawling across your brain. The only way you're going to get rid of that is to have the mic checked out. Assuming it's a TB1 you're talking about, contact PMI as DJL suggests above and ask if they could check it out.
http://www.pmiaudio.com/
Alan Hyatt and Studio Projects have always gone above and beyond in customer support.

Very good advice. I will beg their help...

And I agree, the problem is mostly psychological. To borrow APL's logic, if my brain were the size of the Earth, that knock would cause damage equivilent to 9 million barrels of Jag..

Sonic Idiot said:

If condenser mics were that sensitive how many mail order sales do you think would be made, how many mics would be sold on ebay - after the average sorting and delivery process they'd all be in pieces. If it still sounds good then theres nothing wrong with it you can be sure to attribute that tiny difference to the earwig.

It's DWARF, or Little People, please, and we write songs and have feelings too...

I'm totally on the "if it sounds good, do it" bandwagon, but I'm also a total gear dork/junkie and I'm take such care and and and...(reverts back into corner...re-assumes fetal position).

For Sale: Studio Projects Tb1 Mod

This Item Is A Tb1 Tube Microphone That Has Been Modified To Achieve Optimum Artistic Sounding Recordings. Retails For $260. Modifications Add $120.

Well look at him, if he'll stand on your piano, of course he's not going to be careful with your mics...how inconsiderate...little bastard

Attachments

• mason3.jpg
    mason3.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 138
Back