Double Duty Mics

lilray99

Hey guys i just picked up a mackie 1202- vlz pro.

I want to buy some mics for double duty:

First to record drums, then to record other instruments

I have a shure sm57 for micing both the snare & guitar amp

What mic should I buy to use for both the kick drum & bass amp?

What pair of condensor mics would be good for both overheads & vocals?

Kick and Bass - ATM PRO 25 (i think thats the model)

Overheads and Vocals - SP B1's

Even Better Advice - Flip through the older threads because these questions have already been answered numerous of times.

danny

AT ATMPRO25 for kick/bass

overheads/vocals:

Studio Projects B1 or
Marshall MXLv67 or
Marshall MXLv93M or
Marshall MXL990

Two words my friend. Beyerdynamic M201

Great for:

Snare
Guitar Cabs
Toms
Acoustic Guitar
Overheads (when you want a smoother, less hyped, sound)
Percussion
Vocal (with a bit of bass cut. Watch that proximity effect)
And a whole bunch of other stuff. I've even heard of people getting usable results with it on Kicks.

And it can make you a better lover too ;)

lilray99 said:
Hey guys i just picked up a mackie 1202- vlz pro.

I want to buy some mics for double duty:

First to record drums, then to record other instruments

I have a shure sm57 for micing both the snare & guitar amp

What mic should I buy to use for both the kick drum & bass amp?

What pair of condensor mics would be good for both overheads & vocals?

Get a Sennheiser MD421 next, it's an awesome kick drum and bass amp mic, the MD421 is a real multi-duty type mic, a great sax mic too, and the list goes on.

Here's a basic Microphone locker building block... to help you get started.

First... with some dynamic microphones, like some Shure SM57’s and a Sennheiser MD421 you could record vocals, guitars, bass, horns, and all kinds of stuff. IMO, the Shure SM57 and Sennheiser MD421 are “must have” dynamic microphones.

You’ll also want some small diaphragm condenser microphones and if you’re on a low budget, try the Marshall MXL 603SPR matched stereo pair or the Oktava MC-012’s.

Now, all you have to do is audition some large diaphragm condenser microphones and pick out your favorite one(s).

With a few dynamic microphones, and a pair of small diaphragm condenser microphones along with a large diaphragm condenser microphone and a DI box, you can record almost anything.

Last edited:
yep m201. sort of beyers answer to the md421. cheaper for sure.

yes you can get a great bass drum sound out of them, but it takes a little bit of work. however, no work for bass cab sound, guitar cab. slip that pop screen on for a good hand held mic. ummm... super useful. great top end. about 150 euros new is a good value. try ebay for used.

advantages over 421: smaller, uses normal clip that doesnt break.

Of course for Kick drums, Bass cabs, Floor toms and other low end instruments you could always get an M88 or the newer M99 :cool:

Do Beyer rock, or do they ROCK!?!?!? :D

I would concurr about the Beyer 88 for both kick and bass. The mic has excellent bass response.

As for overheads and vocals that is a trickier. Many people want a warm or smooth mic for vocals but want a bright and detailed mic for overheads to pick up cymbals. For example the V67G is frequently favored for vocals but may be too muddy for overheads. Similarly I like the V93M is very bright and detailed like you might want for overheads but it is not often favored for vocals, although I like it. As a compromise I might suggest the B1.

Both the Beyer M88 (good kick mic) and M201 (good snare) are very nice dynamic mics... and at some point in time you may want to add them to your mic locker also... but, IMO you should get a Sennheiser MD421 microphone next.

Innovations said:
Many people want a warm or smooth mic for vocals but want a bright and detailed mic for overheads to pick up cymbals.

Wow. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I'd think just the opposite.

Mark7 said:
But which version of the MD421 should he get DJ? :)

All mine are older Sennheiser MD421's, that I've had for years... but I did buy a Sennheiser MD421 II U4 on ebay not too long ago, and I think it's a tad thinner sounding than the others but stll a good mic.

I see you own both the Beyer M88 or the newer Beyer M99... what's the difference between the two? Also, the Beyer M201 is one of my favorite snare mics, but I've never tried it on kick before... you don't really use the M201 on kick do you?

DJL said:
All mine are older Sennheiser MD421's, that I've had for years... but I did buy a Sennheiser MD421 II U4 on ebay not too long ago, and I think it's a tad thinner sounding than the others but still a good mic.

I see you own both the Beyer M88 or the newer Beyer M99... what's the difference between the two? Also, the Beyer M201 is one of my favorite snare mics, but I've never tried it on kick before... you don't really use the M201 on kick do you?

I don't actually have an M88, nor have I tried the M201 on kick (I have three perfectly good mics - M99, MD421 (U5) and ATM25 - for that task). I was merely quoting others in the case of the 88 and surmising (based on my own experience with the mic) in the case of the 201. It sounds like it should do okay on low end instruments. I use the 201 on toms (haven't got enough yet to use it on snare as well; I use my AKG D321 for that), backing vocals and guitars (acoustic and cabs)..

As for the 99. I'm not really qualified to review it (no superduper high end pres or anything), but what I can tell you is that it's a very warm sounding mic with excellent off-axis rejection.

Sorry if my previous statement was misleading. I just love Beyer (mics)! :cool:

Mark7 said:
I don't actually have an M88, nor have I tried the M201 on kick (I have three perfectly good mics - M99, MD421 (U5) and ATM25 - for that task). I was merely quoting others in the case of the 88 and surmising (based on my own experience with the mic) in the case of the 201. It sounds like it should do okay on low end instruments. I use the 201 on toms (haven't got enough yet to use it on snare as well; I use my AKG D321 for that), backing vocals and guitars (acoustic and cabs)..

As for the 99. I'm not really qualified to review it (no superduper high end pres or anything), but what I can tell you is that it's a very warm sounding mic with excellent off-axis rejection.

Sorry if my previous statement was misleading. I just love Beyer (mics)! :cool:

Oh ok, thanks... yeah, I like Beyer mics too, but I only have two M201's and a M88 so far... I'd like to try a M160 ribbon.

Thanks for all your input guys.

I think I'm gonna go with the AKG D112 for kick/bass cab
and the rode NT5(pair) for the overheads/vocals.

Back