Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Doing a podcast book. Any opinions on the CAD U1 USB Dynamic Recording Microphone?

Thanks

Doing a podcast book. Any opinions on the CAD U1 USB Dynamic Recording Microphone?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have no expectation of soundproofing in the near future and the condenser mic I'm using picks up every little squeak. I understand that dynamic mics aren't as sensitive and more tuned to vocals than condensers.

So, any thoughts on this pretty cheap mic? I know you get what you pay for, but I'm not asking for much and don't have much available to pay out.

Any help is appreciated.

Patrick.

Thanks
    Sucks ass

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darrin_h2000 View Post
    Sucks ass
    That's an interesting feature.

Any suggestions for a n00b with a budget dictated by his other new project, a very cool but expensive three month old? And yes, I am sleep deprived, thanks.

Patrick.

Thanks
    SM57 with thier adapter...or the line6 ux1

Thanks
    What kind of budget? How much?

I've got a used Audix i5 - $60, a used Mobile Pre - $80, a new mogami 25' cable - $55, a 15' USB2 cable - $30, and it could probably produce good results.

Total - $225.

I suppose I should throw in the $300 laptop, since you can't really use the interface without a computer. As opposed to something like an H4n.

I'd caution against a USB mic, they don't hold their value much and are rarely impressive on their own. But for $30-ish why not, if only to satisfy ones curiousity.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post
    I'd caution against a USB mic, they don't hold their value much and are rarely impressive on their own. But for $30-ish why not, if only to satisfy ones curiousity.
    http://www.cadmics.com/USB_U1.php

It might be worth it just to get the desktop mic stand.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post
    What kind of budget? How much?
    The budget I'm working with is as close to zero as I can get, to be honest. (Baby formula costs $15 a can and cheep beer costs $6 a six and those are essential! ) As a ballpark, I was trying to go around $100.

What intrigues me about your post, shadow, is the way you have things set up. Is it because straight to USB mics suck as a group or is it because you already had the mic with the XLR jack?

Already this feedback is telling me that I have underestimated how much I will need to spend for good equipment. I may just use what I have ($40 logitech USB that is so sensitive that I pick up my house settling) to practice until I can fit $250 or so into the family budget. Better that than produce yet another set of snowy mp3's.

Thanks all.

Patrick.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darrin_h2000 View Post
    Sucks ass
    lol, don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel
    Live Clean and Play Dirty

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hithereeveryone View Post
    The budget I'm working with is as close to zero as I can get, to be honest. (Baby formula costs $15 a can and cheep beer costs $6 a six and those are essential! ) As a ballpark, I was trying to go around $100.

What intrigues me about your post, shadow, is the way you have things set up. Is it because straight to USB mics suck as a group or is it because you already had the mic with the XLR jack?

Already this feedback is telling me that I have underestimated how much I will need to spend for good equipment. I may just use what I have ($40 logitech USB that is so sensitive that I pick up my house settling) to practice until I can fit $250 or so into the family budget. Better that than produce yet another set of snowy mp3's.

Thanks all.

Patrick.
    The fact is...even the non USB versions of those USB mics are unuseable...so you take a sucky mic and put a converter on it...you get a sucky mic with a USB converter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hithereeveryone View Post
    It's because you're buying an interface (soundcard), cable (USB), mic stand(desktop), and eventually a mic for $40. Which means that the mic you're buying is more like a $5 mic (retail, not manufacturing costs). And that $40 is probably paying for shipping too. How could it NOT suck?

USB mics also have virtually no resale value if you decide you hate it. So it's money thrown away. Where I could probably resale my gear at costs. So from a certain POV, my mic was free, since I'm likely to recoup every penny I paid for it, when/if I sale it. Or maybe $20 less a couple of years down the road. Or maybe $20 more.

If you're ultra cheap, you might consider a radio shack special. Or a small electret for $10. Not that you will like those any better than your logitech. You might try putting that mic between two pillows or some foam or whatever and see if that helps isolate it from the weaker background noises. Or use your car as an isolation booth. Or podcast from under a comforter. Or .... other crazy stuff.

Thread Information