Does anyone know which microphone is the one in the image below?

Sent me off on a tangent looking at fancy stage mics (again). Not dynamic, but this is an Earthworks SR314. Not a live stage, and a pretty darn nice recording (IMO), but it sounds pretty good to me! (Equipment is listed in the video description.)

the vocals is good but that guitar "string screeching" is really bad. yikes..
Ive heard the coated strings reduce that some. Im still working on reducing it in my playing too, not easy.

the vocals is good but that guitar "string screeching" is really bad. yikes..
Ive heard the coated strings reduce that some. Im still working on reducing it in my playing too, not easy.
What are you listening on? I know my HF hearing is bad, but (or maybe "so") it doesn't bother me, and I've listened on a few of my regular outputs. It's really only a little noticeable at the beginning, and then all I'm hearing is the vocal.

I hear exactly what you're talking about Coolcat. Its a tough thing to control. I keep Elixers on my acoustics because I hear the squeaks and it bugs me. Elixers are much quieter, although I prefered the tone of Martin SP phosphor bronze strings. When my supply of Elixers is gone, I might try the Martin Lifespans to see how they do.

funny...Ill admit my ears are over-sensitive to the screeching sounds of the infamous string screech, and many other sounds in that range (like cell phone speaker spike/distortions) but yeah it was pretty "yikes!" at the beginning especially. Ive actually taped kleenex over my cell phone speaker due to the sharp/spike jabs I get when people ssss's hit or loud volume distorts the speakers. It helps some.

Im not sure how the pro's get rid of it , but its not that common on commercial releases that I know of?

Example: listen to Blackbird/White Album and theres very minimum but some slide noise but it has the "screech freqs tuned out.

ADD: the focus of the thread was on the Vocal mic though and it sounds great...

Last edited:
Back with another one now. Vocal is that SR314 again, and I'm guessing Soyuz 013 on the acoustics, but what is that square thing on the dobro?

YouTube

I think the separation of the guitars is pretty impressive, close mic'd, yeah, but they're all pretty close together!

441 sounds really good , a dynamic too...

nice simple recording with the split acoustics L&R, lead in the center... vox in center, very crisp a little reverb(room? or fx?)

3:02 the p-popp is handled well by the 314, she has no screen up, or foam on the mic. interesting

This recording with the SR314 is a bit drier than the previous one, but that dobro is the thing that caught my attention. I think I'll aim the SM57 at the cone of my friend's if/when he ever gets over here again. Never was completely happy with the condenser setups I tried.

The SR314 does sound great, but $700 gives me pause. I think I'd get more use out of a ribbon if I was adding something.

Back