Did I just throw out $50?

PTravel

Senior Senior Member
I get those "One Sale a Day" emails every day. Last week, there was a new AT2020 for $50 from Amazon, so I grabbed. It just came today and looks pretty solid. The specs seem good. I have a couple of GXL 2200s and an MXL 990 (looks like I'm starting to collect cheap microphones :)). I use these solely for recording vocals. Was the AT2020 a good deal at $50 or should I unsubscribe from the One Sale a Day emails?

Solid deal there PT.
I have the AT2020 as well (got it in two pack with the AT2021 for $170).
I have great success with the 2020 for vocals, drum room mic, and acoustic guitar. It is a very mellow sounding mic in my untrained opinion.

Where do you sign up for those "One Sale a Day" emails and is it just music gear or a variety of stuff? I don't think I need anymore mics or gear, but if the deal is right, I might :o
Okay, I checked -- the AT2020 deal came from an email from Retrevo.com. I get these about once a week, and they've had some really good deals before -- mostly electronics. You can sign up at the website.

Suggestion: I have a few email addresses that I use depending on what I'm doing. One of them is strictly for commercial dealings and sign-ups. Needless to say, that one gets a lot of spam. I'm not saying that Retrevo will sell your email address, but that it's best to keep one just for sign-ups so your "real" email doesn't get clogged with garbage.

It's even a pretty good mic at $100. Even though I have a full mic box, if I'd seen that I'd have grabbed it. G.A.S. and all that.

I wasn't really in the market for another microphone. $50 just seemed like too good a deal to pass up.

I couldn't resist... I picked one up on Amazon today for $50.59 Thanks for the heads up.
As it turns out, Guitar Center also has them on sale for the same price.

Last edited:
I wonder when they're going to launch the AT2020B or something.

I just checked and at least one place down here is selling them for Aus$76 which isn't far off the US$50 price when you convert the currency. Previously the street price was nearly double that (and list price well over $200.

Discounts like this are usually a sign of a replacement product being imminent.

Arcaxix,

That's the USB plus version (with headphone output), not the XLR version that may replace the current AT2020...

My point is that the speculation is about a replacement for the xlr at2020, hence the very low price. Time will tell.

Back